Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP stream Laptop 14-ax0xx

I cannot factory reset my computer. Every time I try, it gets to 27% and says there is an error, your pc wasn't restarted.

I've tried everything and I can't seem to find a solution.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the factory reset option doesn't work, you have a couple of other options...

You will need to have access to another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer and a 32 GB USB flash drive for the first option.

1. Make a bootable USB recovery drive with the HP cloud recovery tool that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

2.  If you encounter the same issue using the first option, then clean install W10.

Make a bootable USB installation flash drive with the Media creation tool from the link below.  You will need an 8 GB or larger capacity USB flash drive for this.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the installation media and when you get to the screen that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.

Click Next and W10 should install.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Stream 14-ax000 Laptop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

I have tried using the HP recovery tool. It says I need a minimum of 20 gb free space. I only have 7. I have NOTHING on the computer that wasn't already programmed. I cant remove or delete anything else. So I tried the second option and it says that it cannot be downloaded.

HP Recommended

As I replied earlier...You will need to have access to another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer ...

HP Recommended

@Madison0018 

The Stream models only have 32GB of disk space, which can not be expanded.  It is not possible to free up 20GB of space and still run Windows on it.  So, the ONLY option that can be used the one utilizing external media -- and @Paul_Tikkanen has alredy provided you information about that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

So I did that. I followed the instructions on the link that you sent me but I get an error message. It says "this computer is not supported by the system recovery media. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these media"

Error: 0100-82BD-8423

0122-0-1

I Used the product ID for the computer that I needed reset.

HP Recommended

@Madison0018 

OK, then you have to follow the other instructions in the reply from @Paul_Tikkanen regarding downloading install media from Microsoft and use that.

HP Recommended

I have done everything that's been given to me. It hasn't worked. 

HP Recommended

@Madison0018 

Telling us only that stuff does not work does not provide us anything to work with.

If you really did create the 32GB USB stick and you really did boot your PC from it to do the factory reset, then you need to provide us the details of what happened and what you saw on screen to lead you to believe it failed.

HP Recommended

I already did tell you. . this computer is not supported by the system recovery media. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these media"

Error: 0100-82BD-8423

0122-0-1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.