Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook 17-g121wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook 17-g121wm laptop and want to update BIOS from a USB flash drive with the BIOS update folder already loaded onto it. I'm trying to follow the instructions under 'Update the BIOS manually from a USB Flash drive (outside of Windows)' on https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629. Pressing F2 is supposed to open  a list from which one can choose Firmware Management but that is not working for me. 

Pressing F2 for System Diagnostics opens a screen saying HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI but only has options for the following:
Memory Test
Hard Drive Check
Language
Exit

Can someone please suggest what to try to find Firmware Management on this HP 17-g121wm?

Thank you in advance for any helpful guidance.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@marneo

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to update the BIOS from the USB flash drive.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Is the computer booting to Windows?

Have you made any hardware changes on the computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article to update the BIOS from the USB flash drive.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your willingness to help.

Yes, the computer is booting to Windows.
No, I haven't made any hardware changes on the computer.

Thank you for the informative link but it does not appear to be applicable to my situation as it is geared toward recovering a corrupted BIOS. My computer is running fine. I simply want to update the BIOS to a more recent version as the one it is currently running is outdated.

HP Recommended

@marneo

You can download and install the BIOS directly from Windows the same way you install other drivers.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I check BIOS version in Windows 10 using the System Information Tool (MSINFO32.exe), it displays F.45, 4/28/17  as my BIOS Version/Date. 

I do have HP Support Assistance loaded. It recognizes my Serial # and Product #. When I click for Updates though, it checks and then says No Updates Available. However, when I visit https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-17-g100-notebook-pc-series/8499304/mode... looking for Software and drivers for HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g121wm (ENERGY STAR), I see HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors):F.54 Rev.A 10.3 MB Dec 16, 2019 which is the one I loaded onto the flash drive.

All in the world I'm trying to do is find my way to Firmware Management so I can load it but Firmware Management does not ever appear as an option for me when pressing F2 or F10 on startup.

HP Recommended

@marneo

Download the BIOS directly on your computer and double click on the downlaoded file and follow the on screen instructions to install the BIOS.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I set out to do just what you've suggested but here is my concern. Upon clicking on the exe. file, a warning is displayed saying "An encrypted drive could use the TPM to back up the encryption keys that protect user data. Updating the drive while the drive is encrypted will result in data loss. To prevent the loss of encrypted user data, decrypt drive encryption and restart the update."

I am not clear on what is involved here and therefore insecure about proceeding. Would you be able to instruct me please as to how to decrypt drive encryption? I certainly do not want to lose any data.

HP Recommended

@marneo

Looks like you have BitLocker enabled on the computer. Just disable it and install the update and it should work fine.

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How do I disable BitLocker please? I did a search for it in "Settings" and there were no results.

HP Recommended

@marneo

Follow the below steps to disable BitLocker.

1. Open the Search bar and type Manage BitLocker.
  2. Select the Manage BitLocker from the menu.
  3. This will open the BitLocker window, where you will see all your partitions and you can either select to suspend BitLocker or completely disable it.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.