Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HO Envy 17 i7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’ve recently bought a new HP laptop & I’m having problems with the charger, & keeps coming up with ,

“Incompatible power source detected“

Can anyone helo?

it charges without the battery, & there is a blue light when charging, & it does have a lightening icon on the battery icon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@floyd75dylan

Welcome to the HP Support Community.Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Examine the adapter, power cord, and computer for physical damage.

Use the following steps to perform an AC Adapter Test using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics. Make sure the power cord and adapter is connected to the system and wall outlet. Press and hold the power button until the computer turns off completely. Turn on the computer. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key. In the Main menu, select Component Tests.

In the Component Tests menu, select Power. In the Power Tests menu, select AC Adapter. Click Run once to start the test. 

NOTE: If the AC Adapter test is not available, update the HP Hardware Diagnostics version. When the test is finished, the results display. 

If the test result is PASS, there is nothing wrong with the AC adapter. Do not replace it. If the test result is FAIL, write down the failure ID (24-digit code). The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu. NOTE: The failure ID code does not display unless the adapter is plugged in.

In Warranty - If the HP AC adapter is defective and the computer is under warranty, contact HP Customer Support with the failure ID (24-digit code).

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@floyd75dylan

Welcome to the HP Support Community.Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Examine the adapter, power cord, and computer for physical damage.

Use the following steps to perform an AC Adapter Test using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics. Make sure the power cord and adapter is connected to the system and wall outlet. Press and hold the power button until the computer turns off completely. Turn on the computer. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key. In the Main menu, select Component Tests.

In the Component Tests menu, select Power. In the Power Tests menu, select AC Adapter. Click Run once to start the test. 

NOTE: If the AC Adapter test is not available, update the HP Hardware Diagnostics version. When the test is finished, the results display. 

If the test result is PASS, there is nothing wrong with the AC adapter. Do not replace it. If the test result is FAIL, write down the failure ID (24-digit code). The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu. NOTE: The failure ID code does not display unless the adapter is plugged in.

In Warranty - If the HP AC adapter is defective and the computer is under warranty, contact HP Customer Support with the failure ID (24-digit code).

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thank you for replying back. 
I realised that I was using my partner’s old HP adapter & didn’t realise.

I found the adapter for my laptop  & it works fine.

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.