Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

This seems to be a new problem when updating to W10 version 1903.

One fix that seems to have worked for some folks is to navigate to:

"C:\Windows\System32\drivers", then find the iaStorA.sys driver and rename it to iaStorA_old.sys. 

Try the update again.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi ,

Thank you for your suggestion. Having tried it, it seems that the installer from Intel will not replace the missing file, whereas the HP support assistant replaces it with a file that's even older than before!

HP Recommended

Hi Tf05er3,

You're very welcome.

Did you rename the Intel system driver per my first response?

Also, try the 1903 update after performing a clean boot (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwatcz,

I am afraid that removing the Intel driver will cause side effects like slower disks, it will have a purpose.

And using a wrong version of the Intel driver will cause unstable results as the Windows Upgrade suggests.

So in my opinion, we need an update of the Intel driver, and Intel recommands not using their own driver but the one of the hardware vendor, in our case HP. So I hope that HP will come with a solution soon!

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Vuurtje,

Don't uninstall IRST drivers.

Rename the Intel driver found at:

"C:\Windows\System32\drivers", then find the iaStorA.sys driver and rename it to iaStorA_old.sys. 

Try the update again.

Regards

HP Recommended

I think I may have a clue:  I downloaded the RSTetup.exe for version 15.9.6.1044 (recommended by Microsoft) and installed it.  I still get the message that iastora.sys does not work.

The Intel app shows version 15.9.6.1044, as does the device manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.  BUT THE FILE NAME OF THE DRIVER HAS CHANGED.  Under "driver details", the file name is now iastorAC.sys

Is this a "catch 22" situation, where Windows Update needs the old file name, but the new file version?

What to do?

This is my first time on HP Forum.  Does the HP tech team monitor the forum and provide useful solutions?  Do they pass information over to Microsoft?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The Windows update workaround suggested in a prior post in this thread seems to work on some HP Desktop PCs (Link).

Don't shoot the messenger if you have not tried this fix.

You will have to wait for a Microsft fix if you dont navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", then find the iaStorA.sys driver and rename it to iaStorA_old.sys

Regards

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Is anyone getting a response from HP?

HP Recommended

Hi Linda97502,

This is a Microsoft problem.

Neither HP nor Intel can fix this.

The Intel driver is causing the 1903 update to halt.

Disabling the Intel driver allows the 1903 update to proceed.

Regards

HP Recommended

Has anyone managed to get this issue resolved? Tried the other suggestions from Troubleshooter windows etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.