Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I purchased my first decent laptop (HP Pavilion - 15-cd040wm) and I want to have everything up to date.

Currently I'm on the HP website looking at the drivers available for my system. I'm thinking about downloading the BIOS Firmware Driver update, Graphic Drivers etc. But I have no idea if my laptop needs them? Doesn't Widows automatically find these drivers/install them online?

What do you guys think?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Always keep your hardware drivers and firmware updated to current, unless you have a very specific reason.  Drivers that work today, can easily break tomorrow with other software updates that are pushed out.

Microsoft no longer pushes out hardware driver updates through Windows Update because every time they did, they broke all kinds of stuff for users.

HP Recommended

@baiselmareo6 

My view is different.  While I agree that driver updates are useful, I would strongly advise AGAINST doing BIOS updates. 

You run a serious risk of trashing your PC when you do that, as folks post here all the time of that happening to them. 

If you go to your product support page and read the details of the BIOS update, it will usually say something like Security Update -- meaning it provides you no new features or performance gains. In those cases, I would NOT do a BIOS update.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.