Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0013dx
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi - I had to unplug the battery earlier today. When I plugged it back in and turned on my laptop, my keyboard and my touchpad are no longer working. 

I did not disconnect them initially, but I did double check and make sure everything is connected ti the system board properly. 

After many unhelpful “my keyboard isn’t working” threads where the solution was “restart and press esc/F10” which I obviously can’t do because my keyboard isn’t working, I went to settings>advanced startup and after I entered UEFI - my keyboard was functional. However when I launched the computer as normal it wasn’t working again. 

I have done the HP PC tests, failed the keyboard and the touchpad tests because, obviously, they aren’t working. 

I have gone in Device Manager and searched for drive updates, there are none - I am apparently running the best driver available. 

I have disabled and enabled the devices, changes nothing. I have uninstalled the and restarted my laptop, changes nothing. 

In the advanced options startup I have not tried the Uninstall Updates or System Restore yet. 

I do not want to reset my laptop. I don’t want to have to redownload every thing. 

Again, HP Envy 360x 13-AP0013dx - Windows 11

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For anyone checking this post out - I finally fixed it. 

I went to the “Optional Updates” section and just downloaded and installed every single one. Three of them required I restart my laptop, when it booted back up it began installing a BIOS firmware update. Once that completed and I got logged back in my mouse and keyboard were working again. 

I have been having an issue the last week with the cursor moving around my screen, sporadically jumping from place to place when I try to click on things. Maybe this solved that issue as well but I’d much rather have a jumpy mouse than no mouse at all!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I also did a system restore to a point almost 24 hours ago and still no change. 

PS - I do not own an external keyboard or mouse that I can plug in. But since the keyboard works in BIOS it shouldn't be a hardware issue.

HP Recommended

For anyone checking this post out - I finally fixed it. 

I went to the “Optional Updates” section and just downloaded and installed every single one. Three of them required I restart my laptop, when it booted back up it began installing a BIOS firmware update. Once that completed and I got logged back in my mouse and keyboard were working again. 

I have been having an issue the last week with the cursor moving around my screen, sporadically jumping from place to place when I try to click on things. Maybe this solved that issue as well but I’d much rather have a jumpy mouse than no mouse at all!

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.