Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-4xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Spectre X360 13-4xxx intel I7 6500 running windows 10.  I recently installed a new keyboard and motherboard. Everything worked fine until I did a windows update. Since then the keyboard and touchpad didn't work at all. I found a driver for the touch pad and got that working but the keyboard still doesn't work. I can't find a driver for the keyboard or who manufactures it. I have done a full windows refresh but same problem. I have an external keyboard which works but it's not a solution when travelling. I have done the keyboard test (component test following F2 while booting) and it is fine so it looks to be a software problem. I have tried driver updates but it says what I have is best. I have uninstalled - rebooted and reinstalled but it didn't help. Any assistance appreciated.

Regards

Rol_T

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Rol_T

Welcome to HP support community.

Keyboard does not need nay drivers as it is a plug and play device.

However, update BIOS and Chipset drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this HP document for the steps to use HPSA:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Sandy. 

Unfortunately I have been using the support assistant and updated everything, including the BIOS (F.52). I also grabbed the Intel updater (even though the keyboard isn't an Intel deveice) upudated Intel components as well. 

Since the keyboard works in the BIOS but not once Windows starts, it's as though something is disabling it or conflicting with it.

Regards

Rol_T

HP Recommended

@Rol_T

I recommend you try the below steps:

Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Peripherals. Look for Legacy USB or USB Keyboard and Mouse. If this is disabled, Enable it. Save and Exit.

Please try the follow troubleshooting steps:  

· Start 

· Search for Device Manager 

· Open Device Manager from the Search results. 

· Click View 

· Show Hidden Devices. 

· Click the arrow next to Keyboards. 

· Right-click the keyboard device name. 

· Select Uninstall. 

· Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled

· Restart the notebook twice. 

I found a troubleshooting document for you to try  called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting. Please make sure to follow the steps in this document.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

Thanks again for putting the time in. I booted to BIOS setup but there was nothing about periferals there. I followed all of your other suggestions and then the guide that you sent but to no avail.

I was wodering if taking the back off and disconnecting the keyboard then going through the driver uninstall/restart process.

One thing I did notice is that the number of HID installed devices grew to 20 with 3 x HID PCI Minidriver for ISS all have 

"This device cannot start. (Code 10) STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR" but I dont know what this controls.

Regards

Roland

HP Recommended

@Rol_T

• Remove all the entries from device manager.
  • To resolve this error code 10, make sure the device is attached to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are connected firmly and that all adapter cards are inserted into their slots fully.
  • Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It might be possible to remove the device and re-detect it automatically.

Refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

I was able to fixe the error code 10 issue (thanks) but the keyboard still wont work under windows.  In adition to the above I went into the back and physically disconnected the internal keyboard, then restarted, shut down, recionnected the keyboard and restarted but this didn't work. I also tried installing another driver (another PS/2) restarting then reinstalling the propper driver but still no luck. 

Regards

Roland

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

I wanted to let you know that I fould a solution to the problem. I needed to disable the Intel integrated sensor device. I guess it was convincing the keyboard that the screen was folded back.  I haven't seen any other side effects but I guess there will be some. Anyway thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Rol_T

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.