Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, but I suppose it will work. I have an HP pavillion notebook that's a little over a year old. I was playing a game on it last night when the screen just went to black. It sat there with a black screen for about 10 minutes before I did a hard shut down. I tried to turn it back on about 20 minutes later, and it wouldn't turn on. Assuming it was dead, I plugged it in, but the charging light wouldn't light up. I'm really not sure what's going on, I've read some places it could be the mother board, or the charger needs to be replaced. My warranty conviently ran out in August, and it would be great to know what's wrong with it.
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi sklassen,

I saw your post regarding the computer not turning on. It could several things that are causing the problem; the motherboard, battery or power cord. I would start with a hard reset, remove both the battery and the power cord. Then hold down the power button for 60 seconds, this will drain any excess power in the unit then start by plugging in the power cord first and try starting up the laptop. Then try it with the battery.

Are the Num and Caps Lock key flashing at all? If so how many times? Do you hear the fans turning on at all? It will be hard to diagnose this issue without the laptop turning on.

What is your product number? What is your operating system?

Find your product number on a notebook:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Finding your OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/which-operating-system

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I was having the exact same problem as the customer and then I followed the HP Support Tech instructions and my computer (laptop) came on. But I had to put in the battery, it wouldn't turn on with just the cord. NOw that it's on, the battery isn't charging.  s/n[edited Serial Number by Moderator] P/N  RP304UA#ABA windows vista home basic. It's been put away for a while, looks brand new, but it was because of these issues I got a new  laptop. So, do my battery need to be replace or cord or is it something else

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended
hi
i have also run into this problem and ive tried doing the hard restarts mutiple time resulting in nothing. what also happens is when i plug in my charger it wont indicate that its charging and when i went to plug it to see if it were the charger it spark like it does every so often. please help
HP Recommended

Hi, I did as said above, I removed the battery, pushed the power for 30 sec, replaced the battery , plugged in the charger and my laptop started.  BUT, the issue remains, I have had to do this several times this week.  

My question,

does the battery need to be replaced?

HP Recommended

I literally just had the problem, but I remembered a simple trick. I have the HP Notebook 2000( I don't remember the model or anything). But a simple trick I learned was to take your battery out then hold the power button for 30 seconds and put the battery back in and plug the cord back in and you'll see the led light turn on. btw take your cord out before you do any of the stuff I told you to do

HP Recommended
Hi BHK6 thank you so so much ur tricks are working for me i remove the battery n unplugged the charger as well. Then as u said i hold the power button for 60 seconds then plug in direct the charger traaaaaaaaa it is on n i put back the battery it's working Thank you Thank you so so much for you tips.

LULU
HP Recommended
I'm having that problem also. I tried and nothing happened
HP Recommended
My laptop won't charge and turn on I tried all the things which are mentioned above but it won't work.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.