Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 13-aq1xxx
Linux

I am able to run Ubuntu 18.04 from the live USB . The Ubuntu installer does not seem to be able move the ubuntu efi file or configure the boot manager . The Bios in this laptop does not seem to have a legacy support option . Even with efi disabled in bios it doesn't seem possible to have Ubuntu as my primary OS and Windows 10 as a secondary option. I have scanned the web for a couple days now and not found anyone that has done this on this particular model. The Dark arrow in bios seems to be locked to Windows and beeps when selection modification attempted. The Bios detects the live Ubuntu USB and the install to the new partition works works fine and runs. However when re-booting it is forced back to Windows. When trying EFI file selection in bios there is a Ubuntu directory but no Ubuntu / grub efi files have been transferred to it. There are also some errors with Ubuntu not being able to communicate with the TPM chip during boot from the USB .  I haven't tried a complete erase as I expect it may brick it and make it more difficult to return .

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply . Lil_Boy_Blue. I hadn't seen the info on TPM before . I have installed about 10 dual boot laptops before, they were all prior to TPM technology . The problem is the bootloader/grub  not being installed/changed on the main drive.  I  will try both disabling TPM in the bios and installing the linux tpm modules to see if that lets grub get boot control. My guess is that later bios versions must stop the bootloader changes. I haven't done dual boot on a later version bios before.

HP Recommended

@LinuxPleasecen8 

The newer model PCs use UEFI instead of BIOS, and that nearly always comes with Secure Boot enabled -- which is NOT the case with the older BIOS-era PCs.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Disabling secure boot has allowed  grub to be installed as a bootloader for me in the past. This HP Envy has a fingerprint reader. I am pretty sure there are rules on how fingerprint data is stored and there a secure enclave for that . I have tried all sorts of combinations enabling and disabling TPM and Secure boot , Intel software guard extension SGX and I don't seem to be able to pries control of the boot-loader installation . Even though the bios asks for a physical presence check . (enter a one time pin) to approve the change/s). When browsing for efi files the <ubuntu> directory is created but this only has HP*.efi efi files in it . I would expect a grub*.efi file to have been put on the local drive to choose OS's at boot time.  I thought the EFF had a test case to prevent manufacturers using UEFI being used to lock out alternative OS's in this way ?   Hopefully there is just a mis-understanding on my part that I have yet to discover .  I told the salesman I wanted it for Linux. A bit much to expect an understanding what that means perhaps.

HP Recommended

@LinuxPleasecen8 

Sales folks generaly don't know anything about Linux and are only interested in making sales -- and unfortunately, as has been upheld in case after case, their comments are not binding on the manufacturer -- as they are dismissed in court as "sales talk"!

The Ubuntu forums have some excellent articles on the difficulties of booting Linux using the newer UEFI PCs.  You should read those and see if they help.

HP Recommended

What I don't understand is that the installer was able to make the ubuntu efi directory . So some write permission must have existed. How did the Update efi files get put there ?

IMG_20200315_112835.jpg

HP Recommended

@LinuxPleasecen8 

The Ubuntu Installer is like the Windows Installer -- it has elevated rights needed to do its job.

You really need to go to the Linux forums with your questions, as we are not equipped to handle them here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.