Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laplink
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Spoiler
Spoiler
I transferred from old computer to new computer using laplink. Some of my libraries came over but I cannot access them through clicking on the shortcuts. I have to do a search before I can find them. It look like they are assigned to a different user, although there are no other users. I posted this before and someone contacted me through email. I could not send a reply back. I can't even get back to my original post on here.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Magicman69 

While You might have the same user name on two different PCs, that is only what you see.  The actual name used by Windows is a long combination of letters and numbers.  So, the second user is actually not the same as the first user.  Thus, the files you transfered, even if you put them in the second user's set of folders, still have the ownership of the first user.

This is one of the reasons I stopped using LapLink and went over to using EaseUS ToDo PC Transfer instead.

What you might be able to do is take ownership of the files -- but Windows might not let you do that.  Here's a thread on how to do that:  (9) Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I found the folders that are attached to the shortcuts. There were a couple sets of document folders, picture folders, etc. They were stored on drive D. I just changed the address to the library shortcuts and now I can access all my stuff using my username. Thank you for your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.