Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion DV7T 6000CTO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HOW DOES ONE FIND THE PROPER SPECTRE/MELTDOWN BIOS FOR THE NEW INTEL MICROCODE FOR OLDER 2ND GEN SANDY BRIDGE PROCESSOR. IT IS NOT POSTED AS OF YET IN THE DRIVERS LOCATION FOR THE PAVILION DV7T 6000CTO. NO ONE I HAVE ASKED SEEMS TO KNOW ANY INFO ON THIS. i DO KNOW THAT INTEL HAS PRODUCED THE PRODUCT SO IT IS WRITTEN. OR HAS HP JUST NOT PRODUCED A BIOS FOR THE SANDY BRIDGE UNITS. IF SO IS THERE ANY PLAN TO DO SO? THANK YOU.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@fishcrazy135 Welcome to HP Community!

Here's the list of affected products and your device doesn't seem to be a part of it: click here to verify

That said, if you didn't find a patch or driver on the HP website, there's no other place to find it, also, we don't recommend using 3rd party websites for information related to HP devices as it may not be accurate.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The stated Pavilion DV7T-6000 CTO QUAD is for a quad core sandy bridge(2720QM) that is mentioned on the Intel website as among the last microcode patches to be produced by Intel which should be produced by the manufacturer of notebooks that use these Sandy Bridge CPUs to produce a new BIOS. I have not been able to find a bios from HP for this notebook that Intel did indeed produce the microcode for. I do realize that this notebook does not appear on the list you posted but that does not mean that it should not be on the list. Does it? As far as I know this CPU should be on the list and I do not know why it is not. Has HP decided to not produce the bios for these units and did I not get the memo? Am I just a insignificant member of a small group who still has this 2nd gen quad in use? Or is HP indeed someday going to produce this bios? If not I think they should state as much so that us left out customers can make decisions accordingly. I'm not trying to say that I think this is the right thing for HP to do but I do think they should speak to this situation.

Please use this link to find the following quote from the article concerning the processor of interest: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/265413-intel-meltdown-spectre-updates-roll-older-cpus-includin...

"Intel has been steadily updating its microcode document as new fixes roll out. This time around, we’ve got patches for the Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge families, plus various server variants of both chips, as well as some Haswell cores that weren’t previously covered. The chips that still need to be patched are all older than Sandy Bridge, including Intel’s 32nm Westmere parts (the first six-core CPUs based on Nehalem), the quad-core Nehalem architecture (Bloomfield, Lynnfield), and several mobile 32nm chips like Arrandale and Clarkdale."

Please help us to find the patch or remind someone that they forgot to post it to the list Please. Thanks

HP Recommended

https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/03/microcode-update-guidance.pdf

See the bottom of page 12 for the Sandy Bridge processors of interest. This document is dated march of 2018. surely there has been adequate time for production of a updated BIOS. Could someone please help make sense of this for me and I'm sure others.

HP Recommended

@fishcrazy135 I understand your concern and to answer your question, BIOS for this product is no longer produced as it's obsolete and no future updates would be released either, it's best you either check with Intel for further assistance, or upgrade your device.

I hope that helps!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well I am shocked to say the least that HP would take this position which is against what Intel decided in this same situation. They apparently decided that their customers wanted to continue to receive utility from the product that they produced that was flawed so they fixed it. They gave the customer what they wanted and produced the fix. They were obligated and therefore did the right thing and stepped up. Unlike HP!!! When I purchased this laptop from HP some years ago I did a fair amount of due diligence to arrive at the decision to select the HP unit over other options. Well it was not long after that purchase decision that I found that to be the wrong choice as I and many others discovered that the switchable graphics was defective on the NEW PRODUCT. I and many others who had made this bad decision to go with the HP product over other manufactures found out just how bad our choices were when HP refused to even grace us with a response for over several months when they finally came kicking and screaming to the table and produced a bios to fix Their error. Well things sure don't change much given the passage of time. I guess the HP way is to give as little as possible to the customer. I wonder if other computer makers have chosen this poorly also. I guess that HP just made my decision for me ... I will be looking elsewhere for a new computer. There are much better support situations than HP offers out there. Good luck to all of you future hp customers. You are going to need it!

HP Recommended

@fishcrazy135 I know what you mean, and  to help you sort this out, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am sure you mean well and as far as those who read your reply here you may seem to be a person that is trying to provide help to the customer. But in reality what you have done that they do not see is to allow a HP to sweep this problem under the rug and not do the right thing! Intel has done their own investigation into who is still using the second gen Sandy Bridge and they arrived at the conclusion that there were many who still used the cpu actively enough so that they produced microcode that the various manufactures could use to implement a bios to protect the computer from attack. HP on the other hand  has flagrantly told their customers to f*$& off and that their machine is no longer under warranty  and they will not produce a new bios for their obsolete computer. This is the crap that HP pulled on me in PM's off the thread of this forum so that others would not see what snakes in the grass they really are! I have posted on this forum before and did not receive any reply from HP and just assumed the board was just slack or understaffed or whatever. But I am convinced now that HP is just intent on sidestepping its responsibilities and indeed obligations to its customers. You HP are nothing more that a cog in the wheels of progress and Intel should refuse to supply you with CPU"s in the future. If I where Intel I would certainly have something to say to HP about this behavior. HP certainly does not have  Intel's back. Intel should cut HP off! Well you and I both know that is not going to happen. My faith in our tech companies has been shaken to say the least.

HP Recommended

@fishcrazy135

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake many other HP employees have responded to this request for an updated bios and the bottom line is HP has decided to just not produce that bios. A bios to fix a faulty piece of equipment that HP provided to and presented as a proper functioning and safe to use product by its customer. The following reply is my latest to the stream of  HP replies stating that they would look into the issue:

This microcode that Intel has produced for its partners to use to produce a updated bios to fix a security issue caused by Intel manufacturing a cpu that is faulty which it sold to HP who then used the faulty product in the computer that it then sold for good money to me! I did not pay for the computer that you sold me with faulty money but you did provide me with faulty product and it has been faulty from the day that you sold it to me. So if you want to be factual about what is going on here then the truth is HP is scamming the public by selling faulty products to the unsuspecting innocent customer who has no choice but to trust someone selling such complicated technology as proper functioning product that is in fact unsecured for use on the internet. Then too make things worse still they refuse to step up and make good on a product that they have in their power to do since Intel produced the microcode for HP to use to implement a new bios that would fix the old machines that were produced by everyone but HP has chosen to be the lone company to renege on its obligation to it clients to see this problem through. So your excuse that you do not have access to the hardware and software to fix this "end of life computer" which does not need any hardware repair is a lame excuse to not perform your duty to your customers. Just produce the bios and make the product secure like you should instead of this under the table shady behavior which is beneath the dignity of a company of HP's stature ! Come on and do the right thing here!This is no way the fault of the customer who has shown good faith throughout the life of this product and had endured the off warranty break downs  that have occurred without HP"s help. But this one should be on you! Do the right thing!

Regards James Harris

•  
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.