Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 4340s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am not an experienced user. I was given Microsoft Office 2003 to learn. When I tried to install the software I got an error message that my laptop was not a genuine HP PC [bought from HP]. I do not understand this. Can anybody help, please?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TheMancunion 

From what I've read, the OLDEST version of MS Office that will run under Windows 10 is Office 2010 -- so forcing an installation of Office 2003 is not going to work.

Even if it does, that is a Microsoft product, so we have no way to debug or solve issues with it.  You would have to contact Microsoft Support for such issues.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Perhaps I was not clear in my query. I am aware of users of  MS Office 2003 under Windows 10. My query was why software supplied for distribution with a HP PC only should reject my Probook 4340s as not being a Compaq or HP PC. Is there an issue with the BIOS?  I have been told that this is the means by which software determines machine validity.

HP Recommended

@TheMancunion 

If that Office 2003 came with an HP Compaq, then I am not surprised it will not load on a ProBook, especially since the software is 18 years old and not written to work with Windows 10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.