Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 14s cf3074tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP 14 cf3074tu notebook. I accidentally spilled water on it but before I could switch it off, I saw a blue screen error. However, I managed to switch it off (battery is not removeable) and then dried it out. 

Everything works fine, just that when I switched it on, the mouse cursor isn't visible. It appears on screen only when I connect external USB mouse. 

Strangely, when I opened boot seetings, (pressing ESC while laptop is starting) I did a hardware test, there the mouse cursor was visible and works fine. It just doesn't appears on windows10. 

I did all drivers and windows updates and followed all the steps from most of forums for issues like this.

One thing I noticed is I get an error icon on "I2C HID Device". It shows device details as: 

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A request for the HID descriptor failed.

If anyone could help me with this problem, would be really thankful. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Invince49 

Water damage is the second-most destructive thing you can do to a laptop -- second only to dropping it on a hard surface.

From your description, it sounds like water seeped into the laptop and shorted out the touchpad.  If so, this is considered Accidental Damage and is not covered under the HP Warranty.  So, you would have to pay a LOT to have the laptop examined for damage, and if needed, have the touchpad replaced.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Invince49 

Water damage is the second-most destructive thing you can do to a laptop -- second only to dropping it on a hard surface.

From your description, it sounds like water seeped into the laptop and shorted out the touchpad.  If so, this is considered Accidental Damage and is not covered under the HP Warranty.  So, you would have to pay a LOT to have the laptop examined for damage, and if needed, have the touchpad replaced.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot.

I had it inspected through a HP service center, they recommended the same as you. Due to long weekend, I took laptop back without any changes and waited till Monday to submit laptop for repairs, but surprisingly the trackpad started working again without any hardware changes made. I had the driver uninstalled and reinstalled which seem to have fixed it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.