Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 141db0051CL
Chrome OS

I need to load information stored in my external Hard Disk (hd simplesave) and my chromebook with operating sistem Chrome OS dont recognize the device.  At the begining it does but inmediately disconected.  I change to the othe usb conection of the chomebook and doest work.  I cant access the information of the external disk that is from the same HP. How is possible?  I also have problems for print.  I have a laser HP printer and the chromebook doesnt recognize it.  The same HP product and dont connect.  help please.  we are in Chorme OS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Marisolis 

@Marisolis wrote:

I need to load information stored in my external Hard Disk (HP SimpleSave) and my Chromebook with operating system Chrome OS don't recognize the device.  At the beginning it does but immediately disconnected.  I change to the other USB connection of the Chromebook and does not work.  I cant access the information of the external disk that is from the same HP. How is possible? 

I also have problems for print.  I have a laser HP printer and the Chromebook doesn't recognize it.  The same HP product and don't connect.  help please.  we are in Chrome OS.

The very old proprietary software, that is, the SimpleSave program used to back up and then later retrieve the data is located right on the same disk as the backups (kept on that SimpleSave hard drive).

The SimpleSave software runs in Windows 7 - it does not recognize Chrome OS.

Solution:

Find a Windows 7 machine, connect the disk to it, restore the data you want / need, and then transfer that data to some format that can be used with Chrome OS. 

Copying the restored data from the Windows 7 machine to a USB stick might work as long as there is no need for the Chrome OS to translate that data when you load it -- AND assuming that Chrome OS can even read / copy data from a USB memory stick.

Suggestion / Opinion

Get that data off of that SimpleSave disk.

SimpleSave has not been supported for years. 

If the disk and / or software has not yet failed, it will do so, and will very likely end up locking the data forever on the disk. 

Retrieve all the data you need from the disk and store it somewhere else - almost anything is better than leaving the data on that old disk using old proprietary software.

====================================================================

What about...

Second question / comment buried in the question about an unknown laser printer that does not connect to Chrome OS.

Answer

Not every printer works with Chrome OS.

The Mobile Printing document includes a list of printers and the printing solutions (software / applications) supported on that printer model.

Mobile Printing – Options, How-to, Help, and Information

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Read this document first.

Open the section for your printer series  >  Find your printer and supported applications.

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

And...

The printing problem is a separate issue from restoring data from SimpleSave.

Suggestion: 

Start a new thread - include all the information for the printer and describe the issue you are having.

For example,

Include in your description of the problem >> the printer model, whether the printer supports Chrome, what you have tried to solve the problem, and any other details that would help whomever answers the question to understand the problem.

==========================================================================

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Marisolis 

@Marisolis wrote:

I need to load information stored in my external Hard Disk (HP SimpleSave) and my Chromebook with operating system Chrome OS don't recognize the device.  At the beginning it does but immediately disconnected.  I change to the other USB connection of the Chromebook and does not work.  I cant access the information of the external disk that is from the same HP. How is possible? 

I also have problems for print.  I have a laser HP printer and the Chromebook doesn't recognize it.  The same HP product and don't connect.  help please.  we are in Chrome OS.

The very old proprietary software, that is, the SimpleSave program used to back up and then later retrieve the data is located right on the same disk as the backups (kept on that SimpleSave hard drive).

The SimpleSave software runs in Windows 7 - it does not recognize Chrome OS.

Solution:

Find a Windows 7 machine, connect the disk to it, restore the data you want / need, and then transfer that data to some format that can be used with Chrome OS. 

Copying the restored data from the Windows 7 machine to a USB stick might work as long as there is no need for the Chrome OS to translate that data when you load it -- AND assuming that Chrome OS can even read / copy data from a USB memory stick.

Suggestion / Opinion

Get that data off of that SimpleSave disk.

SimpleSave has not been supported for years. 

If the disk and / or software has not yet failed, it will do so, and will very likely end up locking the data forever on the disk. 

Retrieve all the data you need from the disk and store it somewhere else - almost anything is better than leaving the data on that old disk using old proprietary software.

====================================================================

What about...

Second question / comment buried in the question about an unknown laser printer that does not connect to Chrome OS.

Answer

Not every printer works with Chrome OS.

The Mobile Printing document includes a list of printers and the printing solutions (software / applications) supported on that printer model.

Mobile Printing – Options, How-to, Help, and Information

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Read this document first.

Open the section for your printer series  >  Find your printer and supported applications.

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

And...

The printing problem is a separate issue from restoring data from SimpleSave.

Suggestion: 

Start a new thread - include all the information for the printer and describe the issue you are having.

For example,

Include in your description of the problem >> the printer model, whether the printer supports Chrome, what you have tried to solve the problem, and any other details that would help whomever answers the question to understand the problem.

==========================================================================

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Can you recomend me a external hd of good quality?  I resently read that is very important to buy a good external memory because of the life of the disk.  Thanks for your respose.

HP Recommended

@Marisolis 

You are welcome.

Personally, the physical external storage we are using at the moment are in the form of large NAS units - two of which are supported with Western Digital disks.

I also have a few Cloud storage accounts for not-so-private / non-critical data.

I do not have any single external storage disks at the moment - I'd consider the Wester Digital for that purpose, I think.

No joy?

Start a new thread and ask the Community.

We have a variety of hardware Experts here that can offer and opinion on this type of question.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.