Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-dr1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

At night, I often close my laptop (HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-dr1xxx) without shutting it down. And when I wake up, sometimes I find my laptop overheated itself even though it wasn't doing anything (no downloading, no playing game...).  I believe this happens when my laptop updates by itself, but I am not sure.

What should I do? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mylaptophelp

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I understand that your HP laptop is overheating, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on the fan: HP Notebook PCs - Fan Is Noisy and Spins Constantly

• Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

• In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent the noisy operation from occurring. For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@mylaptophelp

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I understand that your HP laptop is overheating, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on the fan: HP Notebook PCs - Fan Is Noisy and Spins Constantly

• Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

• In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent the noisy operation from occurring. For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, I don't think I changed setting, hardware nor software. What should I do?

Ps. Does my laptop updates itself? How can I stop it?

HP Recommended

@mylaptophelp

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

1. Open HP update option. - Windows 10: Click Start, click All apps, click HP and click HP Update. ...
  2. Click on the Settings button. The HP Update Settings popup will appear.
  3. Select Never and click on the OK button.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

not sure what you mean click all apps and click HP. Do you mean HP Support Assistant? HP Command Center? HP Smart?

HP Recommended

@mylaptophelp

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 

If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team if you would like to continue troubleshooting.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.