Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently upgraded my HP Pavilion dv6-1300 Notebook to Windows 10. (I had stopped using it a few years ago but now I now I would like to use it as a PC for my kids.)

The BIOS version is F.36 dated 10/9/2009. I would like to update this. HP Assistant and the other automated HP tools are telling me that no updates exist. However, while researching this I found another post that indicated that the last BIOS update for the Pavilion dv-6 was in 2011 so I think that there must be a more current version then what I have.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The product number you posted indicates that your notebook is a HP PAVILION DV6T-1300 CTO ENTERTAINMENT NOTEBOOK PC.

The last BIOS update for it was F.46, September 26, 2011.

Info file...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54629.html

Exe file...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54629.exe

Again...I have no idea what will happen if you try to update the BIOS when running W10, so that is entirely up to you if you want to risk updating the BIOS with an unsupported OS.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the product number of the notebook?

Use this guide to find that information.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

If there is a BIOS update for your notebook, it would not be supported to be run in W10, so updating the BIOS could wreck the notebook permanently.

I doubt any BIOS updates will do anything to enhance the performance of the notebook.

HP retires support for all consumer class PC's that reach 10 years of age, so it may not be possible for me to find the BIOS update you need for your notebook.

HP Recommended

The product number is VC034AV.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The product number you posted indicates that your notebook is a HP PAVILION DV6T-1300 CTO ENTERTAINMENT NOTEBOOK PC.

The last BIOS update for it was F.46, September 26, 2011.

Info file...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54629.html

Exe file...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54629.exe

Again...I have no idea what will happen if you try to update the BIOS when running W10, so that is entirely up to you if you want to risk updating the BIOS with an unsupported OS.

HP Recommended

So I was going to try a BIOS update as a means to address my real problem. 

I want to upgrade my current memory from 4GG to 16GB. I purchased the following RAM upgrade because it seemed to be the appropriate solution:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-204-pin-ddr3-so-dimm/p/N82E16820231531?Item=N82E16820231531

I replaced the two 2GB memory cards with two 8GB memory cards. I then turned the power on and the PC does not boot up; it stays on a black screen.

I came across a posting on a different forum that outlined the same issue. A responder suggested updating the BIOS. There was no reply from the original poster about whether this worked or not. Nonetheless, I thought I would investigate this option. In doing so, I could not find a way to download an updated BIOS so I posted here and you responded.

But perhaps the BIOS isn't what is stopping the RAM upgrade from being accepted. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook can only take a max of 2 x 4 GB.

16 GB has no chance of working on any notebook with an Intel series 4 chipset and a Pentium Penryn processor.

Also the memory you get must be PC3-10600, have 8 little black chips on each side of the circuit board, and be 1.5V, not 1.35V.

The newer model dv6's with the first gen Intel quad core i-series processor (such as an i7-820QM), and series 5 chipsets can use 2 x 8 GB of memory.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information!

Is there a RAM upgrade that you would recommend for this unit to get it up to 8GB?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It is very hard to find memory that works in those models.

I'm pretty sure (90%) that this memory will work in your dv6.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-204-pin-ddr3-so-dimm/p/N82E16820231342?&quicklink=true

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Since you are such an oracle of knowledge is this area, I have one more question for you. I hope that I am not imposing.

Can you recommend an SSD drive upgrade for this unit?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi:

You're not being an imposition at all.

You were reading my mind as a matter of fact, because I was going to suggest you upgrade to a SSD.

Since that model is pretty old, and SSD's were novelties back then, I would suggest you go with what the Crucial SSD report recommends, because they guarantee compatibility.

The memory they suggested though, had no chance of working in your notebook.

So that way if the SSD doesn't work, you can get a refund since they said it would work.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-dv6-1300-cto

Pick a storage capacity that will suit your needs from the list.

The MX models offer better read/write speeds than the BX models do.

Even with the slower SATA II (3.0 GB/S) drive controller, the SSD will run circles around the mechanical hard drive.

You can clean install W10 for free by making a bootable W10 USB installation flash drive using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

During the installation process, if you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.