Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G61-320CA Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Would like to download the lastest HP update for the software & drivers now that I have installed the latest BIOS update HP released. Was F7 now F15

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since HP retired support for your notebook, the only place where you can easily find the latest drivers HP released for it would be from this reputable 3rd party website.

Download HP G61-336NR drivers for Windows 7, BIOS (helpjet.net)

The above model also has an AMD processor, so the drivers from this model would also work on yours.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since HP retired support for your notebook, the only place where you can easily find the latest drivers HP released for it would be from this reputable 3rd party website.

Download HP G61-336NR drivers for Windows 7, BIOS (helpjet.net)

The above model also has an AMD processor, so the drivers from this model would also work on yours.

HP Recommended

Paul, WOW your like a PC Genie loaded with resources & advice Information!

As there are multiple options on some of the drivers how does one decide which to download?

Would I use the latest download by Date, Is that to simple of logic to go by when downloading

R

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If there are the same drivers for the same devices such as the graphics, yes, use the ones with the newest date or  driver version.

HP Recommended

Paul; your earlier response seems to have vanished somehow while I was composing the response below so I had to make a new post...

Thanks Paul for the  Service Manual, nice to have for my questions & curiosity

If 4 GB is the max would It be pointless to add 1 GB & expect to notice any performance improvement? 

Dual channel sounds like it will provide a noticeable performance response or will it  just stabilize the OS?

I plan to purchase the same RAM as below so they are both the same; the other RAM was from E L P I D A

Manufacturer Micron Technology
Part Number 16HTF25664HY-800J1
Memory Size 2048 MB
Maximum Memory Speed 666 MHz
Memory Type DDR2
Type Detail  Synchronous
Will 4096 MB be an issue; can one go over the max RAM stated
BTW For the meatheads like me what is the RAM max factor based on, some kind of Motherboard capacity or limitation?

Thank you so much for your help; you have been truly remarkable with the level of detailed responses & assistance you have provided me.

Your a Level 25 in my World and a Top Gun of the computer troubleshooting world
Best Regards...
Rockets

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

8 GB is the max as set forth in chapter 1 of the service manual, not 4 GB.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

But 2 x 4 GB of DDR2 memory is very expensive, because very few notebooks used 4 GB DDR2 memory.

I honestly don't know how much of a performance boost you would get by removing the 1 GB memory chip and replacing it with a 2 GB memory chip.

You get an extra 1 GB of memory, but you also get the memory to run in the higher performing dual channel mode, instead of the lower performing single channel mode the 3 GB of memory is running in currently.

Anyway, here is a link to a compatible 2 GB memory chip on eBay.ca if you want to toss $20 CAD at it to speed up your notebook slightly.

2GB G.Skill DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-6400 (800MHz) laptop memory module | eBay

You can watch this video to see the difference between memory running in single channel mode vs dual channel mode...

Single Channel vs Dual Channel Memory - Laptop Gaming and CPU Benchmarks - YouTube

HP Recommended

Paul,

I would like to see if I can upgrade to 8 MB from 3 MB; surely that would  improve performance?

Are you able to advise any manufacturer for the RAM that is very good for the$ or is that against the forum rules?; I don't need to purchase HP RAM since HP never used their own hardware & wonder why HP installed other vendor's  RAM & from 2 different vendors.

Looking forward to watching those videos and learning a little more of how these machines tick

I have loads of system event errors; buckets & kernels as well, but don't know how to resolve those, also ran DISM system health restore,  SFC scan & it found corrupted & missing files; ; also used  clean mgr /sage set:  and clean mgr /sage run:, all 4 commands were elevated,  perhaps smart friend can fix those event errors...

.Wonder if the low RAM can cause the above event error issues 

Anyway let me your thoughts/advice, I  am of to watch the RAM vids

Regards

R

HP Recommended

Hi:

We can recommend memory here so that isn't a problem.

What the problem is...is the cost.

This is the least expensive memory I could find. 

Hynix HMP351S6AFR8C-S6 8GB KTIS (2x 4GB) DDR2-800MHz PC Laptop Notebook Memory PC2-6400 SODIMM RAM -...

Maybe you can find it on eBay in used but tested and working condition.

HMP351S6AFR8C-S6 | eBay

Regarding errors and whatnot...did you clean install W7?   

That would be the only suggestion I can offer to see if a fresh installation of W7 would help.

3 GB of memory with a 64 bit operating system is barely adequate.

I would say that 4 GB is the minimum acceptable and 8 GB would be best, but at what cost?

There is no way I would be paying $160 CAD for new memory on such an old notebook.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.

I  believe I  am using dual channels already as both slots have RAM cards but they are from 2 different manufacturers and they are not the same spec wise.

Why the HAL900 did HP do this type of 2 alternate Vendor's RAM cards install when they have their own name brand RAM?. Comments I  have read state if using 2 RAM slots use the same manufacturer parts & match the 2 RAM GB's  to each other otherwise stabilty and performance could be a culprit of causing  issues.

What are your wise views on this Paul?

BTW Can you confirm I am using dual channels set up

Best Regards

R

Grasshopper

Level 1..

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have different brand memory in a few of my PC's.

Never had a problem with compatibility or performance.

Maybe I have been lucky...in most cases as long as the memory from the different manufacturers are the same specs, normally you should be OK.

Dual channel performance...the rule of thumb is you need to have matching memory capacities in both memory slots to achieve dual channel mode.

That would mean 2 x 1 GB, 2 x 2 GB, etc.  a 2 GB + a 1 GB chip should be 3 GB running in single channel mode.

I have zipped up and attached a free utility below that should tell you how your memory is running...single or dual channel.

If you look at the screen shot of the report I ran for my PC, you can see the dual channel indication on the lower right quarter of the summary report.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1617112591034.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.