Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook - 13-c002dx (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Need to find my product key for an old windows 8 laptop and don't have the original download disk. Trying to figure out if I am able to download windows 10 given my lack of storage space and think I need the product key to do so. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it came with W8.1 64 bit.

Your notebook's Windows product key is in the BIOS of the notebook, and you will not need it to install W8.1.

HP Stream 13-c002dx Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file.

You do not need to enter any product key to download the ISO file.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

At the beginning of the installation routine, you can delete every partition on the hard drive if you do not need to save any files off the PC.

I have zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive, so it is bootable, or you can use a different utility such as Rufus.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

You can then install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Stream Notebook - 13-c002dx (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

After you get W8.1 installed, you can upgrade to W10 for free by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below...

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.