Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 12-a001dx x2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to get a definative answer from any one whether of not this new 12" (not the 13") model support an external monitor.  Specs and screenshots show only USB-C ports.  Is there another port?  Can you attach one with an adaptor via the USB-C port?  A support export said he saw an HDMI port, but I suspect he was looking at at the 13" Spectre.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Great Question @meisenman

With the upcoming Spectre 12 x2 PC the USB type-C ports can be used to plug in an external monitor. You will need an HP USB type-C to HDMI  or VGA adapter to allow one to be plugged in.

USB Type-C Compatibility Chart for computers, adapters, docks and hubs
Description HP Spectre 12-a000 x2 Detachable PC     
HP USB-C to USB 3.0 Adapter  x    
HP USB-C to HDMI Adapter  x    
HP USB-C to VGA Adapter  x    

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Great Question @meisenman

With the upcoming Spectre 12 x2 PC the USB type-C ports can be used to plug in an external monitor. You will need an HP USB type-C to HDMI  or VGA adapter to allow one to be plugged in.

USB Type-C Compatibility Chart for computers, adapters, docks and hubs
Description HP Spectre 12-a000 x2 Detachable PC     
HP USB-C to USB 3.0 Adapter  x    
HP USB-C to HDMI Adapter  x    
HP USB-C to VGA Adapter  x    

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Very useful answer - thankyou.

Can you please confirm if the Spectre X2 with an external monitor/projector will support all Windows display modes - eg Desktop Duplicate and Extend.

Furthermore can the graphics cope with an external monitor extended in Portrait orientation (yes i know - some of us Word users are weird and like the monitor side ways!)

M

HP Recommended

It does.  I ordered a 3rd party USB-C to HDMI adaptor and I am extending my screen to a 24" external monitor.

HP Recommended

Hi - will all the HP Spectre Range work with USB-C to HDMI and VGA adapters? I have a HP Spectre x2 12-a003 and cannot get it to work with a 3rd party adapter for VGA. Will the drivers etc out of the box work?

Is there anything specific I should be looking out for on 3rd party adapters or should I stick to HP ones? I am waiting a response from Startech on theirs.

I will be returning if it doesnt work, but can see on number of forums that it should and it is a great device.

Thanks

Adrian

HP Recommended

Regarding USB-C and the HP Spectre.   I have recently bought a Spectre.  It only has two USB-C ports and nothing else.  The USB is for all peripherals and also the power.

My objective was to connect 

1) a wireless keyboard and mouse (requiring a USB dongle)

2) an external monitor (requiring HDMI, VGA, or DVI)

3) occasionally connect USB memory devices

So to do this i would need a multiport adaptor.  

COCMHUCPT_.jpg

I have tried three types

1) This one was cheap Chinese garbage.  The USB-C connector was so loose it just fell out of the Spectre.  The USB and HDMI ports worked but the power pass through did not work.

2) This Apple device didn't really work.  The USB worked but the HDMI and power port did not work.  Not sure why.

3) I had most success with this device.  It has a good quality plug and the USB and HDMI ports worked.  Unfortunetly the power pass through did not work.

It seems to be early days for the USB-C type connector.  It appears that the perfect multiport hub/adaptor does not yet exist.  

HP Recommended

I have been fighting this problem. 

I have purchased and returned all of the following items.

Anker Premium USB-C Hub - The HDMI didn't work at all.

CHOETECH USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - HDMI worked but charge-thru USBC did not.

Dell Adapter, USB Type C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB (470-ABQN)     Everything worked for two weeks.  HDMI just stopped working after that...

I'm trying others and will update when I have the info...

HP Recommended

I ended up buying the official HP usb-c Hmdi and Vga adapters and they work well. some error messages about drivers not being up to date, but HP support advise that will be updates

HP Recommended

Glad i'm not the only one

HP Recommended

The problem with the official HP solutions is that they limit you to one device: HDMI or USB or VGA, etc.  If you have to charge at the same tiime, you cannot attach anything else.  There is no viable charge-thru device (hub) available from HP...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.