Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp PAVILION DV7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP users, 

I have this HP pavilion dv7 (XE360EA#UUG) series with the intel I5 and it is about 6 years old now. 

So this came with windows 7 installed back in the days and I have it running windows 10 now.

BUT now I would like to install Ubuntu next to windows 10 ... 

I have been reading and trying but I do not have any UEFI thing going... And I need to get into that option to disable secure boot.. I think I have to update the BIOS to a newer version, but when I want to to this and I check the HP site it only gives me the windows 7 operating system (ms "forced" me to upgrade to 10 ).

Do you guys know an solution? because I dll'd the HP BIOS- UPDATE UEFI but still can't seem to disable the secure boot... 

I hope there is a solution because i'd like to start using Ubuntu.

Thx in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

recent versions of Ubuntu should install on a secure boot system. But I think you have something else going on because I do not think you have secure boot or you would see it in the BIOS.

You can install Ubuntu using manaual disk partitioning....leave the Windows partitions alone and the 75 gb should be like 25 gb on a root "/" partition, a swap equal to the memory amount or at least 4 gigs, and a /home partition for the rest. Grub will install automatically and give you the option to boot to Windows. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You might want to take a look here:

http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/UEFI_Secure_Boot_in_Modern_Computer_Security_Solut...

"Secure Boot is an optional feature of the UEFI specification. The choice of whether to implement the feature and the details of its implementation (from an end-user standpoint) are business decisions made by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). "

Secure boot requires UEFI but not all UEFI implementations have secure boot. I cannot say 100% but I believe that HP did not implement secure boot on laptops that predated Windows 8 but did release a UEFI diagnostic update for some, including yours. So if you cannot find a BIOS option to enable/disable secure boot or enable legacy boot (same thing) then you do not have secure boot. What makes you believe secure boot is enabled? 

HP Recommended

Well, 

When you try to install Ubuntu from usb, it should be giving you the option to "install alongside w10" .. sadly enough this is not the case when I try to ... 

And I read that this happens when secure boot is enabled and prevents the Ubuntu to install alongside w10 .. 

I do have the option to empty the whole hdd and install then.. but I don't want to use only Ubuntu since I'm used to using w10 and happy about it..  I just want to explore Ubuntu .. 😄

So i've been trying alot of things so far and they all don't seem to work.. 

I already made a partition of about 75gb (25gb required for sufficient use), tried to update everything, tried to update the bios, did a dskchk, ... but no answer in that... so I was hoping that by disableing the secure boot that this might bring the solution ..

thx 

HP Recommended

recent versions of Ubuntu should install on a secure boot system. But I think you have something else going on because I do not think you have secure boot or you would see it in the BIOS.

You can install Ubuntu using manaual disk partitioning....leave the Windows partitions alone and the 75 gb should be like 25 gb on a root "/" partition, a swap equal to the memory amount or at least 4 gigs, and a /home partition for the rest. Grub will install automatically and give you the option to boot to Windows. 

HP Recommended

thank you for your help, 

I'll try to figure out how to do this then, i'm not an expert so I was trying to get it done "the easy way" but ok.. 

I'll see if I can get it done..

thx

HP Recommended

SO! 

I found the reason I can not see the "install alongside w10".. 

There's already 4 partitions on my portable; 

So all I can do is delete 1 so I can make another one for Ubuntu..

I read the HP_TOOLS can be deleted, but I can't find how to make the HP_TOOLS partition work on a usb in case anything goes wrong...

Can anything go wrong when I delete this partition? 

thx in advance

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help sir,

I started searching another path and got everything fixed and running! 🙂

so this is SOLVED thx!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.