Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This device 15-af131dx ran a longer than normal automatic update a few days ago (most likely anniversary update for windows 10). After the restart, there no longer is a cursor visible on the screen. Both, touchpad and mouse (USB), no longer work. The system recognizes the USB connection (it makes a sound when I remove the USB and when I attach it in a different USB port), a light appears shortly on the mouse, but then disappears. Messages include "Unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver" and for touchpad device status "This device cannot start. (Code10)"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @Karin13

Welcome! Here at the Forums you will find suggestions, solutions and helping hands! I understand that you do not have a cursor after an update was done. 

Have you tried going into Safe Mode to see if the problems persist in there?

Have you tried to Uninstall the Touchpad Driver, Restart your Notebook twice, then Reinstall the Touchpad Driver?

Have you tried using an external mouse to see if it is only the Touchpad?

Here is a document for you called Using the TouchPad or ClickPad. This document can help you with the issues you are having with the missing cursor. 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

Have you tried to uninstall the Windows update?

If not, please follow these instructions and see if they help. 

• Boot into Safe Mode
  • In the search type Control Panel
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click Programs and Features
  • Click View Installed Updates
  • Click the drop down menu beside Installed On
  • Select the date when these problems started to happen
  • Go to the Updates shown
  • Right Click on the update
  • Click Uninstall

Please uninstall all the updates done on that date. When you are finished, please restart your Notebook twice. 

If this does not seem to change anything, please use the System Restore feature and pick a date that was before the issues started. 

To use System Restore in Windows 10:

• Go to the Search
  • Type Control Panel
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click System
  • Click System Protection
  • Click System Protection Tab
  • Click System Restore
  • Click Next
  • Choose "Choose a different Restore point"
  • Click Next
  • A box that says "Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event" will pop up
  • Choose the event
  • Click Next
  • Click Finish
  • Click Yes to Confirm

When the System Restore is finished, you will get a pop up that says it has been completed. 

Here is a document for you on the Error Code: 10 in the Device Manager. The document is from Microsoft and it is called This device cannot start" Code 10 error in Device Manager in Windows. I included this document strictly for information purposes if you wanted to know what the error code meant. 

If this reply helped, please use the Accept as Solution button. If you want to give me a virtual high five, please click the Thumbs Up icon below. 

Please let me know what the results of the suggestions above are and if you require further assistance. 

Thanks for joining in!

Have a good one Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @Karin13

Welcome! Here at the Forums you will find suggestions, solutions and helping hands! I understand that you do not have a cursor after an update was done. 

Have you tried going into Safe Mode to see if the problems persist in there?

Have you tried to Uninstall the Touchpad Driver, Restart your Notebook twice, then Reinstall the Touchpad Driver?

Have you tried using an external mouse to see if it is only the Touchpad?

Here is a document for you called Using the TouchPad or ClickPad. This document can help you with the issues you are having with the missing cursor. 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

Have you tried to uninstall the Windows update?

If not, please follow these instructions and see if they help. 

• Boot into Safe Mode
  • In the search type Control Panel
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click Programs and Features
  • Click View Installed Updates
  • Click the drop down menu beside Installed On
  • Select the date when these problems started to happen
  • Go to the Updates shown
  • Right Click on the update
  • Click Uninstall

Please uninstall all the updates done on that date. When you are finished, please restart your Notebook twice. 

If this does not seem to change anything, please use the System Restore feature and pick a date that was before the issues started. 

To use System Restore in Windows 10:

• Go to the Search
  • Type Control Panel
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click System
  • Click System Protection
  • Click System Protection Tab
  • Click System Restore
  • Click Next
  • Choose "Choose a different Restore point"
  • Click Next
  • A box that says "Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event" will pop up
  • Choose the event
  • Click Next
  • Click Finish
  • Click Yes to Confirm

When the System Restore is finished, you will get a pop up that says it has been completed. 

Here is a document for you on the Error Code: 10 in the Device Manager. The document is from Microsoft and it is called This device cannot start" Code 10 error in Device Manager in Windows. I included this document strictly for information purposes if you wanted to know what the error code meant. 

If this reply helped, please use the Accept as Solution button. If you want to give me a virtual high five, please click the Thumbs Up icon below. 

Please let me know what the results of the suggestions above are and if you require further assistance. 

Thanks for joining in!

Have a good one Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestions given so far.  None have worked so far as I have not been able to follow all the steps from beginning to end. I guess I incorrectly named the problem, too. It's not the cursor that's missing, but rather the MOUSE POINTER ... without the pointer I have to use the keyboard (window button, tab, up/down ...). However, I am not proficient with the keyboard and couldn't even find SEARCH to type in CONTROL PANEL. I also got stuck ... in SafeMode as well as on other screens trying to find system recovery.  

HP Recommended

Hey! 

Thank you for getting back to me. 

You can connect an external mouse and see if that works for you and if not, try these mouse keys steps. Either one of these options should help you to do the required steps from the post :). 

Let me know how this goes. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

The mouse keys document is helpful.  Had I had that from the beginning, I might not have gotten as frustrated as I did.  I uninstalled Windows updates several times and also deleted updates for the touchpad driver.  When I finally tried the system restore, I didn't get the date options to set it back about a month.  I ended up calling HP support and gave remote access. After 2 1/2 hours on the phone with the representative trying all those things I had tried before, they went for the system restore and 2 more date options were offered (compared to what it showed me earlier), one of which was a month and a half back. It took several hours for the system restore to run and for now it seems to have fixed the problem. The mouse pointer is back 🙂 and all Windows updates have eventually been installed without further problems. I will keep the mouse keys document close by ... just in case.

HP Recommended

Yay @Karin13!

Although a long process, I am glad that eventually there was a resolution (as far as we know). If you need any more assistance in the future, please come on back 🙂 

Tale care! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.