Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G5 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have Windows 10 21H1 running on an HP EliteBook 840 G5.  I have been using AVG Internet Security for a number of years without problems.  My subscription recently renewed but would not reactivate.  On AVG Forum Advice I did a clean uninstall and reinstall and now have a trial version running which expires in less than a month.  When I try to activate or switch subscription something on my notebook blocks access to AVG's activation servers.  Senior AVG Technical Support have analysed logs for the attempted activation/subscription switch (connect to the internet/unexpected error occurred) and cannot see what is blocking the connection.  I have added the activation server domain to safe sites.  My Broadband Service is with BT Internet and I have also tried connecting via 4G tethered to my iPhone.  Windows Defender is turned off as security settings are managed by AVG.  I have tried with the AVG VPN on and off. I do not use HP Security. I have turned SmartScreen for Edge off.   Any ideas what on my Notebook might be blocking access?

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem mostly solved.  While awaiting analysis of the Process Monitor logs by the AVG/AVAST Developers I wondered whether it was an IP problem.  I tried renewing my IP and it showed "media disconnected".  I reset the WINSOCK and IP Stack and uninstalled the Ethernet Adapter and restarted.  The trial subscription has now disappeared and I am on my paid version of AVG Ultimate Security. I still do not see all my subscriptions on AVG Security when I sign in, only when I sign out, though I can see them on the AVG TuneUp and AVG VPN Panels.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If AVG tech support can't help you with this you should consider using something else. 

I am definitely not impressed with AVG tech support not being able to walk you through this with your permission.

I have used ESET Internet Security suite for more that a decade.

When I have had installation or activation issues, ESET' expert tech support knows how to help me and issues are resolved quickly.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have been offered additional help now, observing the events with Process Monitor.

HP Recommended

Additional help from AVG tech support?

You might want to consider invoke the Services.msc dialog to see if some unknown service is in there causing the issue. You can do that at the same time when you have Process monitor active

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Problem mostly solved.  While awaiting analysis of the Process Monitor logs by the AVG/AVAST Developers I wondered whether it was an IP problem.  I tried renewing my IP and it showed "media disconnected".  I reset the WINSOCK and IP Stack and uninstalled the Ethernet Adapter and restarted.  The trial subscription has now disappeared and I am on my paid version of AVG Ultimate Security. I still do not see all my subscriptions on AVG Security when I sign in, only when I sign out, though I can see them on the AVG TuneUp and AVG VPN Panels.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.