08-21-2019 07:06 AM
Notebook too slow to start, loading pages from the internet. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it faster?
08-22-2019 04:02 AM - edited 08-22-2019 04:03 AM
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.
With regards to your PC slow downs issues, it may be caused by lots of things such as hardware problems , corrupted operating system, drivers, tons of unused temporary files, or active viruses/malware.
Perform some basic hardware checks to rule out hardware problems
1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)
2. Power the computer back on.
2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSN0qzXayUY
3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.
This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXUp43ahHA
If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD (hard disk drive) and RAM check (memory check).
Let me know the test results.
Back to Windows:
- defragment your Hard Disk Drive (if you have hard disk drive). If you use SSD, just "trim" it > https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8933-optimize-defrag-drives-windows-10-a.html
- run Disk Clean Up - cleanmgr.exe > https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-disk-cleanup-open-use-windows-10-a.html
2. Remove unneeded and temporary files. Download and run BleachBit with the extra options checked. Here are instructions and download link
3. Scan your PC for threats, viruses, malware...
3.1.... Run the free ESET Online Scanner >> http://download.eset.com/special/eos/esetonlinescanner_enu.exe
Scan your PC for viruses, threats and unwanted/unsafe applications - remove if anything found.
3.2.... Run AdwCleaner >>https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
Let me know in details if they found something and what it was....
4. Uninstall any programs you definitely do not use but you think might be a bit high on resources. You can uninstall them from Control Panel > Programs and features
5. Download and run the free Speccy > http://www.piriform.com/speccy
Install and run the app
When it is ready, click on File > Save a snapshot
A file with .speccy extension will be generated. Please, upload it somewhere (e.g. in your Google Drive, Dropbox, ICloud or OneDrive storage) and give me URL to download/see
- Extra reading - read the official HP article abour such problems > http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=pclockupfreeze.net&as=true§ion=ccweb&sfs=tdoc&lc=en
(Follow the appropriate steps in the interactive guide)
I am looking forward to your reply, results and details.
**** Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
**** Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional