Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 17-ae1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Support Assistant always shows a blue notification icon in the system tray.

When I open HP Support Assistant, the Devices tab also shows the blue notification icon with the number "5".  However, for the 2 devices I have registered, there are no messages or downloads to process.

Screenshot:  https://snipboard.io/s8FYUK.jpg 

How do I clear that?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@aych-pee Welcome to HP Community!

As shown in the below image, the notification icon merely showcases all available updates and reminders for every device registered on the HP Support assistant:

Click Troubleshooting and fixes in the My notebook pane

Both visible and hidden updates, basically, if you click on each and every tab and check for reminders the notification should go away, 

Troubleshooting and fixes options in HP Support Assistant

Alternatively, Set preferences for when to check for software updates and how HP Support Assistant notifies you when updates or messages are available.

1. Click Settings at the top of the HP Support Assistant window.

HP Support Assistant settings

2. Change the settings in each section to match your needs. Make sure to scroll down to see all the available settings.

3. Or simply turn it off.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

These steps have unfortunately not made any difference.  I still have a blue icon with the number "5" displayed.  I clicked on just about everything I could and modifies my Settings, but no luck.

HP Recommended

@aych-pee When you click on messages and click on delete the message as highlighted in the below image, doesn't this reduce the overall notification number on the top? please check and let me know:

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The icon i talk about is not in the Updates or Messages tab.

The icon is in the upper left corner where it says "My devices".

Please refer to the link to a screen print that I included in the original post.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@aych-pee I'm referring to the same "my devices" tab, all the notifications are inter-linked, so if you open or delete the messages as described previously, the notifications on the "my devices" tab, would also reduce!

Please give that a shot and let me know if it works, as it does on my device.

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That's the thing.  I don't; have any unread messages or any messages that I can select for deletion.  I don't have any updates that need to be installed.

I don't have any of the above that I can install or delete.

This is why I am contacting support because the indicator still reads "5".

Please advise.

HP Recommended

@aych-pee That's weird, perhaps, you could un-check the below options from the settings tab and let me know if that changes after you restart the computer:

(Also, apart from that being annoying, is that causing any other issues as such?)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was skeptical that simply unchecking the checkbox options you mentioned would actually work because the issue was not with the display of the icon in my taskbar or the display of popups, the issue was with the "count" indicator inside the HP Support Assistant.

So, as directed, I unchecked those 3 options and rebooted my computer.

The only thing that occurred was the HP Support Assistant was no longer visible in my toolbar.

When i manually started HP Support Assistant, the "count" of 5 was still present.

When I restored the HP Support Assistant to my Taskbar, the blue "info" icon was visible.

I'm not sure why it still shows 5 items to process.  There is nowhere in the HP Support Assistant that shows 5 (or any) outstanding items.

Please advise.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.