Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm not certain if my subject  title makes sense, but I'll attempt to explain:

I have a dv4-2167sb, I just purchased.  Running Windows 7 64x.  This particular model has an 89 (approx) key keyboard.  It does NOT include a separate numeric keypad.  It DOES include the embedded numeric keypad on the alpha keyboard.  Before anybody explains the procedure of turning on and off the num-lock with the fn key, thank you, but I am aware of this feature.  The problem is the num-lock feature turns on and off with a USB numeric keypad attached.  So, if I wish to use the external keypad for numbers, the numbers on the embedded keypad become active (j becomes 1, k becomes 2, etc)  If I turn off num-lock, it turns it off on the external pad as well, making it useless.  I have owned 3 previous HP / Compaq notebooks.  All with the same style keyboard, and all functioned quite well with the external numeric keypad.  HP customer service does not view this as an issue.  However, the manual says:

"NOTE: 

The embedded numeric keypad will not function while an external keyboard or numeric keypad

is connected to the computer or to an optional docking device or expansion product."

which is the result I desire.

see page 44 of :  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01551931.pdf

However, on the dv4, the embedded numeric keypad WILL function while an external keyboard is connected.   I went to the retail store where I purchased mine and plugged in a USB keypad.  I found the floor models to function the same way.  But only on dv4's.  Toshiba, Dell & other HP models functioned as described in the manual. 

Has anyone else found a resolution to this issue?  Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Ahhh!

5 have exact3y the sa0e *r6b3e0 6n a dv3 w5th a 36g5tch b34t66th n40ber 2ey*ad. 5f any6ne has a s634t56n 5t w643d be great3y a**rec5ated. 5t 5s dr5v5ng 0e n4ts.

If the problem was fixed this would read:

I have exactly the same problem on a dv3 with a logitech bluetooth number keypad. If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated. It is driving me nuts.

Cheers

HP Recommended

I'm having this exatly problem. This makes the external keyboard totally useless! 

Anyone have any idea?

HP Recommended

I have a very similar problem. I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 with the number pad. When ever I turn on num lock it also turns on the imbedded key pad so j=1 and so on. If I plug in an external keyboard everything works fin but its just with the laptop keyboard I am having issues. If any one can help that would be great.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I know i'm a few years to late, but I had just encountered this problem 2 hours ago, and wanted to share the solution i found.

I found a program that allows you to script hotkeys(you can download it below).

https://autohotkey.com/download/ahk-install.exe

After it installs, a new function will appear on the context menu when you right click on the desktop and select "new".

Click on the new function (named 'AutoHotkey Script') and rename the file "numpad.ahk".

Right click on it and select edit.

Erase the contents of script and paste the following:

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

NumpadIns::Numpad0
NumpadEnd::Numpad1
NumpadDown::Numpad2
NumpadPgDn::Numpad3
NumpadLeft::Numpad4
NumpadClear::Numpad5
NumpadRight::Numpad6
NumpadHome::Numpad7
NumpadUp::Numpad8
NumpadPgUp::Numpad9
NumpadDel::Send .
return

________________________________________________________________________________________

exit the script and double click on the ahk file.

If it doesn't run at start up, move it to the startup folder

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.