Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen 15 dc0005ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I got a question regarding battery life on Hp Omen models with G-Sync. I realize that in G-Sync models you can't use the integrated graphics in order to save power. There are lower speced models on which you can, however. Is it possible to install a BIOS from those models and get Optimus? (Would be great if a certified tech could answer this, as I believe this feature is blocked by HP and has nothing to do with actual hardware limitations, see ASUS Zephyrus M series).

Since I doubt that HP is willing to provide a fix for this, I would like to know if there are other ways to make the GPU draw as little power as possible at all times when running on battery. Alternatively,  is more power saved when I turn off G-sync and set the monitor refresh rate to 60Hz (mine is 144Hz)? Basically, when running on battery, I want to make the dGPU perform as close to an iGPU as possible.
This would be an "office" mode that is just for browsing the web and watching the occasional Youtube video. I know, very unusual but I don't use or need G-Sync at all - but this was the only configuration available with the more colour acurate screen.
Thank you for your help,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@David_H2

It's not possible to flash the BIOS from the older model. The computer product serial numbers need to be tattooed in BIOS.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@David_H2
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

To get the answer to this question,  G-sync eliminates screen tearing, which occurs when your GPU is putting out more or less FPS than your max refresh which uses more battery power.

The average laptop battery is good for around 400 recharges cycles. After that, it starts to lose its capacity to hold a charge. This is about one and a half to three years of battery life for the average user. As the rechargeable battery begins to fail, the running time of the battery begins to decline.

Learn how to get the most service and life from your HP notebook battery by following these industry-wide suggested best practices.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01297640 ( refer to Battery care practices ) 

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for answering my question about the power draw of g-sync, I was suspecting that it takes a little more power, but it's good to have a definite answer about that.

However, you did not comment on the possibility of getting back Optimus with a BIOS from one of the lower spec'ed Omen models. I'd really like to know if this is possible (at least in theory).

HP Recommended

@David_H2

It's not possible to flash the BIOS from the older model. The computer product serial numbers need to be tattooed in BIOS.

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.