Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy m6-1205dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This issue started out suddenly and completely out of nowhere, and it occurs even in safe mode. The issue is that whenever I turn on my laptop (either from powered off or from sleep mode), as soon as it boots it just starts scrolling down by itself. As soon as the OS finished booting up, I open the Documents folder, or any folder with enough files to have a scrollbar, and the scrollbar just goes straight to the bottom. The same happens if I open a browser, Chrome in my case, the scrollbar goes straight to the bottom of any site I visit, as if I had the "fn+home" buttons pressed down. If I click on the grayed top part of the scrollbar to scroll it up by increments, it just flickers instead of actually going up. It flickers in such a way that it seems as if I had the down button pressed or stuck, but that is not the case. I tried with keyboard tester and all the keys are functioning as normal, and none are stuck either. The only way to get it to stop auto scrolling to the bottom of any window is to press the up button... Oddly enough, pressing the up directional key stops the weird behavior completely. However, it only fixes the issue until I put the laptop back into sleep mode or reboot it. As soon as it boots back up, it goes back to scrolling to the bottom of pages like crazy... A friend with some computer knowledge suggested it could possibly be a virus, so I took advantage of the fact that I just bought a new SSD and installed  it along with a freshly downloaded copy of Windows 10 through a USB stick, and did a fresh install wiping all my data. The issue still persists. I really have no clue as to why this could be happening after a fresh OS install. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Neno325

Welcome to HP support community.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel, click Ease of Access.

Control panel with ease of access selected

3. In the Ease of Access Center, click Change how your keyboard works.

Select 'Change how your keyboard works' in the Ease of Access menu

4. Uncheck the option for Turn on Mouse Keys, and then click OK.

Turn on Mouse Keys unchecked

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for replying. I just tried your solution, but as it turns out my PC already had the "Turn on Mouse Keys" option Unchecked. Also, I've also noticed that the scrolling issue is getting worse. It happened just now, twice. It seems like, if I let the PC sit still for a few minutes, it just starts acting up. I just took a break to analyze what I was going to reply and the monitor turned off, but not the PC (I have it set to turn the display off after 5 min, by default), and as soon as I touched the touchpad to turn on the display, it just scrolled automatically to the bottom of the page and started acting like I wrote on the first post. I click on the greyed part on top of the scrollbar and it just stays stuck to the bottom, flickering, until I press the UP button. Any other suggestions I could try? Thanks a lot in advanced!

HP Recommended

@Neno325

Check with an alternate mouse after disabling the touchpad to check if it works.

If the alternate mouse works, run a hardware test on the touchpad.

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click Component Tests.
  • Click Mouse/touchpad Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.
  • If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.