Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This just started yesterday. I did not make any changes and there were no system updates that I am aware of. I checked the settings and it is supposed to go to sleep when I close the lid or hit the power button and it always has until now. Now every time I close the lid it seems to shut down and then automatically reboots as soon as I open it. Can anyone tell me how to get it back to the way it was?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Jerry50

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

Yes, sometimes the updates can mess up things on your computer as these are generic updates and not PC specific.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Jerry50

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that when you close the lid the computer is not going to sleep.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

The following steps detail how to change what happens when a laptop lid is closed.

This is normally handled as a ‘sleep button’ action, and by default will tell the computer to sleep, however this can be changed to:

• Do nothing
  • Sleep (default)
  • Hibernate
  • Shut down
  • Turn off the display
  1. In the Windows search box enter ‘Power Options’ and click on it when it appears in the list.
  2. Windows10-SetWhatHappensWhenPowerButtonPressed1
  3. On the left of the window, click on the ‘Choose what power buttons do’ link
  4. Windows10-SetWhatHappensWhenLidClosed2
  5. Under ‘When I press the sleep button’ choose the option you want to change it to.
  6. Windows10-SetWhatHappensWhenLidClosed3
  7. Click ‘Save changes’ to save the changes.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I found all of that and went through it multiple times and that is how it was set when I got the laptop and those settings have never been changed. I resaved anyways just to make sure and it had no effect. Now this morning all of a sudden after not turning it off yesterday when I finished using it, I opened the lid and it was still on. I opened it and there was a little progress bar as if there was a new download happening that disappeared almost immediately before I could see what it was and now it is back to working just fine. Very strange. Would that maybe have been an update that could have messed it up and then a new one that corrected it and is it normal for updates to happen without notifying me?
HP Recommended

Hi @Jerry50

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

Yes, sometimes the updates can mess up things on your computer as these are generic updates and not PC specific.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.