Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like most laptops, the Spectre x360 13 operates a passive cooling policy.  WIN10 also supports active cooling policy, where the fan is activated to reduce CPU/GPU temp before reducing CPU clock speed.  This option is missing from the Spectre x360 13.  Is it possible to add this option, through a reg edit or CMD command, so that it can be set to have active cooling policy when plugged in?  The commands that I've found on Windows 10 forums don't seem to work with the Spectre x360 13.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@seearghee Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to add an active cooling policy to Spectre.

Please Check in BIOS power management Balanced mode and performance mode.

selecting active cooling means that the system software will increase fan speed to keep the processor at an appropriate operating temperature and will only slow down the speed of the processor if it becomes necessary.  Slowing the processor means that system performance will be slower.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

The only cooling option in the BIOS is "Fan Always On"  Enable/Disable.  Default is disabled, so the cooling policy takes control of when to turn on the fans.  The HP Command Center DOES have "Thermal Profile" which lists HP Recommended/Performance/Comfort/Quiet buttons.  The information for the Performance button states " When Enabled, fan speed will increase to cool the device.  This mode is not supported on battery power"  This looks the closest to the Active cooling policy I have been used to using on other manufacturers laptops.  However, using Intel Power gadget to monitor CPU/GPU package temperature (as well as other things), the fans seem to come on and off almost at random, instead of coming on quickly when CPU/GPU temp becomes high, and ramping down when things have cooled down.  For example, Package Temp0 will rise to 97-99 degrees under load, and stay there for 30 seconds, or more, before the fans kick in on full blast.  Surely they should either kick in sooner at that temp, or ramp up as temperature rises, thereby cooling the CPU/GPU before the package hits those high temps.  At other times, under low load, with Package Temp around 50 degrees, the fans will come on at half speed for 30 - 60 secs, followed by ramping down to quarter speed, and staying there for an extended period.  I understand there is an IR sensor mounted on one of the fans to monitor some other temperature, but I haven't been able to find out what it is aimed at, so don't know what it is monitoring.  Is the output from this temperature sensor  taking precidence in controlling the fans, over the CPU/GPU temp?  Can you tell me what part of the system the IR sensor is pointed at & the temperature range it is monitoring?  Are you aware of any plans to update the cooling policy so the Performance option is a bit more responsive to CPU/GPU temps?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@seearghee

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.