Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP notebook da0018ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So this has been happening since i bought the laptop, back in april.

it has an i7 8565u, 8GB ddr4 ram, mx130.

The games i play are definitely "supported" on my laptop as it was way above the minimum requirements but even though, i get fps drops during gameplay where my fps would drop from 60 to around 5-14 for a few seconds and then go back up.

After some diagnosing ive found out that eveytime the FPS drops, the CPU is always above 98% and this isnt normal, or isnt supposed to be. The CPU usage then comes down to its usual range and the FPS goes back up to 60. Task manager doesnt show this spike of CPU idk why but i use MSI Afterbuerner with its On screen display while gaming to see these stats. However i do see the spikes on the CPU graph in the performance page of task manager. So i am unable ot track the cause of the issue.

I play Valorant a lot now and its really annoying to see frames drop in a competitive game like that, earlier i used to play GTA V and the game lag happens. No matter how much i decrease the graphics settings it still happens and i've been trying to fix this for a very long time now. Yes i am running it with the mx130 not the integrated graphics.

I have tried:-

- Clean boot

- Reinstalling windows 10 entirely

-Create new accounts

- Reinstalling the game

- Install latest drivers

- Update BIOS

- Lower graphic settings in game.

If this cant be fixed i shall sell the laptop and build a pc instead as i play games on a daily basis and this issue really bothers me now.

Would appreciate if someone helped me upload the video here it says "you do not have permission to upload video"

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@zyan910

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

As I understand the FPS reduces.

I appreciate that you've attempted the steps mentioned and I'll be more than glad to help you out: 

  

Right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel. 

  

To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate. 

  

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does. 

  

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware. 

  

For more assistance, please check a similar HP Forums post (Resolved): Click here    

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@betty0610

Thanks for the comment, but I have tried this too and had no luck in fixing the error, the games i play are supported on the laptop with the specs i have mentioned so theoritically they should be played smooth.

HP Recommended

There are many ways to increase FPS and system performance: 

· Update the BIOS. 

For desktop PCs, go to HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS

For notebook PCs, go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS 

· Update the graphics driver. 

Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, enter your PC model, then select the driver for your graphics card. 

· Most games allow you to change the graphics settings. Using a lower graphic quality often improves FPS. 

· Close any applications or programs that are not being used. 

· Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Creators Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes i have tried all of these steps and none seem to work, bios, drivers everything is up to date and background apps etc are not running when i play.

The game is often smooth as it is supposed to be and the cpu spikes up randomly which causes fps drops.

HP Recommended

We'll have to perform a recovery here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yep i have tried this as well, after setting up windows 10 again, still the same issue

HP Recommended

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.