Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2000-2c29WM Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I bought my notebook new and have never had to power on password. I had some problems with my laptop so I restored to factory settings Now I am having to put a password in when the computer first turns on. Power on Password. I have went into the bios screen and arrowed to security tab. I then hit enter and put the password in which I just guessed and it worked and enter on the verfiy password. and then f10 to save. It did not remove the power on password How did it get there in the first place and now how do I get it from asking. I am the admin. Is it something because I set myself as the admin? Please help I can get into my computer but putting two passwords in is a pain. I am the only one that uses it so there is no need for power on password. I read another way was to take the battery out is that a good idea. ? I really don't want to do that. Should I remove my self as admin will that do it. please help I am really frustrated. Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Go back into the BIOS if you are able to. Go to the Security tab and click on the power on password box.

To remove the password, you will have to ensure that both boxes for the password are blank. Press F10 to save the change and exit.  You should see something like the following image.

Restoring a notebook's operating system to default does not change the BIOS settings nor add a password. 

An operating system is software and BIOS is firmware. They are two completely different parts of the  (OSI) seven layer  open system interconnect model  that all computers are based on, regardless of operating system.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I must be doing something wrong because I did do that I spaced bar through both of the passwords. Oh you know what how do I get down to the power on password box. I just got to the password where you enter the passwords is there another step. 

Okay here is what I do I am at the sercurity tab and I use the space bar to clear both password boxes then I hit f10 to save and exit. but it still made me put in my password when it booted up pressing the space bar through the password boxe4s didn't clear it. . I think I maybe missing a step  do I need to get down to a power on admin box before the passwords are clear. and if so how do I get to the admin box. I have used the arrow keys the pg up and pg down keys and nothing will get me down there to click on it. . how do I jump down there to highlight the power on password box on the Yes I am missing the step click on the power on password dialog box. How do I do that. Is it a function key. I have tried every key there is to jump down there. what am I missing here. lol thank you again I will be anxously awating your answer 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.