Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

If it cannot be recognized anymore by the hosting computer, it might have failed.  Being it is USB driven, it should be easy to test this on a different PC.  Also, this is a relatively old device so it would not be out of the question if this no longer worked.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
I think it's because a long time ago I deleted everything on drive. That's why I was thinking I could force something on to drive to make it recognizable to computer?
HP Recommended
I think it's because a long time ago I deleted everything on drive. That's why I was thinking I could force something on to drive to make it recognizable to computer? Thanks
HP Recommended

It could be the way the files where deleted.  I noticed we talked about file type - either NTFS or Fat32, so was this drive formatted?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
Like I mentioned earlier, it's been a long time ago. I think I opened the drive in computer, devices and storage and deleted everything I could. Probably even all software that came on drive. Thanks
HP Recommended

I would make a Linux Live CD and boot the system to that.  Linux systems are much more forgiving than Windows.  Maybe the Linux can see this drive that Windows cannot.  If the Linux Live cannot see the drive, then either the enclosure or the drive is defective.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Well you lost me on the Linx Drive CD, don't understand that at all, being a novice.

I'll tell you what I did this morning. I took my External drive to work and hooked up to laptop at work. It's running Windows 7 also. It showed the drive as I:. On the drive is 2 folders; First (folder) dated 12/29/2016 $RECYCLE.Bin and second (folder with a padlock looking emblem after it) System Volume Information. Both don't give any KB's. Then after them is a (triple box looking thing I beleive is an emblem for SimpleSave), dated 5/18/2009 HPLauncher.exe 552KB. I try clicking on the exe file but nothing happens.

So what do I have? Thanks

HP Recommended

The work computer shows what the Linux live CD would have shown.  For some reason your home PC does not like the SimpleSave, which means  the home computer will not be of any value with this drive.  There must have been an action that was done before that caused the USB port to not recognize this device.  When it was connected but did not show, was it detected in Drive Management?  You might get it to realize the drive is there if Drive Management will detect it.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I brought my external drive home and tryed hooking it up with the front USB ports. The little blue light on external light will light up put computer will not connect.

If I unhook the rear USB port that my printer is connected to recognizes the external drive. If I click on HPLaunch nothing happens, put I did click copy on some files on computer and then paste on external drive and it coped them to external drive. Look at clips I attaching where drive letter will change when I click on HPLauncher. ThanksCapture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

HP Recommended

Others that have/had the HP SimpleSave drive are posting a similar message about HPLauncher.  HP did have a new version but I cannot find it now.  It must have been a problem.  It also appeared to be a WD product.  If you can copy and paste files to the drive, it seems that will be the only useful purpose now.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.