Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook 15-AY103DX

My notebook Was stolen and I misplaced my serial number. How can I get that information 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Cmarie4468 

I am sorry that happened.

The Serial number - if you purchased the computer from HP - is perhaps located in your email confirmation / order information (that) you would have received during the process to purchase of the computer.

Without having recorded the number anywhere, it is especially difficult to recover the number.

HP does not track this sort of information outside of the initial purchase - and again, that assumes you purchased the computer from HP and received the information.

If you saved the box in which the computer was shipped (some people do this), or if you saved the shipping tags on that box (some people do this), then the serial number is (likely) listed on that box / shipping tag.

There are a number of software tools that provide the serial number.  Any of these would have to be deliberately run to record the information and then the resulting file data would have to have been backed up to somewhere to other than the computer disk(s).

Look for that number.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Sometimes the answer is "No".  No one likes that.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to show appreciation for the help.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find a solution.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Cmarie4468 

I am sorry that happened.

The Serial number - if you purchased the computer from HP - is perhaps located in your email confirmation / order information (that) you would have received during the process to purchase of the computer.

Without having recorded the number anywhere, it is especially difficult to recover the number.

HP does not track this sort of information outside of the initial purchase - and again, that assumes you purchased the computer from HP and received the information.

If you saved the box in which the computer was shipped (some people do this), or if you saved the shipping tags on that box (some people do this), then the serial number is (likely) listed on that box / shipping tag.

There are a number of software tools that provide the serial number.  Any of these would have to be deliberately run to record the information and then the resulting file data would have to have been backed up to somewhere to other than the computer disk(s).

Look for that number.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Sometimes the answer is "No".  No one likes that.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. I'm gonna have my husband to check his email. It was purchased from Best Buy and they have not been able to receive it yet. I normally keep my box, however, I have not been able to find it😢. Again I appreciate your advice and I'm praying it turns up at a pawn shop as a report has been made.

HP Recommended

@Cmarie4468 

You are welcome.

Well, Best Buy is not HP Store - but the information might have been included in one of the emails during your purchase.

If you purchased the unit "in store", it is possible the number is printed on the original receipt.  

If you purchased an extended warranty from Best Buy for the device, the number is likely on that email / document.

I am sorry the solution is not "Well, here you go".  We'd like it to be that simple.

Keep looking - and good idea to check pawn shops and maybe Craigslist, too.

Warning about Craigslist and other sellers of this general type:

If you find a listing for what you believe is your device, notify the police of you discovery.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, meet with anyone and do NOT give these people your information.

Not.

Hang in there.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Update: I was able to recover my serial number from an HP email confirmation when I registered the my laptop. Thanks again for your advice 

HP Recommended

@Cmarie4468 

Excellent!

You are welcome.

I am sorry for the reason you need the information - I am glad you were able to retrieve the number.

Stay Safe.

If you are where it is so very warm right now, stay cool.  Smiling.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.