Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My problem is that Windows will occasionally stutter / lag, for no apparent reason, causing the computer to be unusable for tens of seconds to minutes at a time.

When using the computer, the main symptom of this problem is that the mouse cursor will freeze and stutter when trying to move it across the screen while the computer is also unresponsive to keyboard input.  Suddenly the cursor will be stuck and not move or respond to clicks, then it will jump across the screen a some distance (in response to my shaking the mouse during the lag time) and then freeze again.

This problem is observed across many different usage scenarios (while using different applications, or combination of applications), as well as when there are no applications running at all.  The problem has been observed across multiple wireless mice as well as when no physical mouse is in use at all and I am solely using the touch screen or touch pad functionalities, in which case, the computer temporarily becomes unresponsive to touch.  The entire episode typically lasts about 30 seconds to several minutes and then the computer returns to a normal, responsive state.  This problem occurs at least once per hour and often more frequently.  I have monitored memory and CPU utilization during and immediately after a few episodes and have not noticed any particularly great stresses on the computer (a few GB of memory in use, and very low CPU utilization).  The problem seems to occur independent of the power/performance setting in windows (i.e., "high performance" or "long battery life" mode).

I have tried the recommendations described here, where applicable, but to no avail:
https://appuals.com/mouse-pointer-lags-or-freezes-in-windows-10/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3gtdvs/mouse_keeps_freezing_in_windows_10/cwirf9q/

Computer: New, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX
OS: Windows 10 (1709, build16299.125), clean install from Microsoft, with all OS updates and hardware drivers installed
Memory: 16 GB
CPU: Intel 8th generation i7
Solid state hard drive

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem solved:

It turns out that the computer slowness / lag / stutter was a result of an improper (default) setting for the integrated Intel Graphics driver.

To fix:

Right click on Desktop --> Intel Graphics Settings

Then choose the "Power" option.  Here, there is a setting called "Panel Self-Refresh" that can be toggled between Enable and Disable.  By default, it is set to Enable.  However, upon switching to Disable, the problem goes away.  Disable Panel Self-Refresh on both Plugged In and On Battery modes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @SamBam ,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

I went through the detailed description and I see that you have already performed most of the troubleshooting steps, Kudos to you for that. 😉

If that's the case, I'd request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/ Enter Product number or select to auto detect* Scroll down to "Still need help?

Complete the form to select your contact options" Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

> new computer ...

How new?  New enough that the HP Warranty still is valid?

> Windows will occasionally stutter / lag, for no apparent reason, causing the computer to be unusable for tens of seconds to minutes at a time.

I see that you have a SSD device, not a "spinning" disk-drive.

In the past, I have observed when a spinning disk-drive is having I/O problems, e.g., nearing an "imminent failure" status, Windows will be unresponsive, because the much-delayed completion of some I/O is "blocking" Windows from doing anything, other than accepting "interrupts" as you move the mouse, for delayed processing ("jumpy cursor").

I suppose that it's possible that your SSD could be having problems. Not likely, but if you rule out the obvious, what remains is the "interesting" bit.  Run the HP Hardware Diagnostics.

HP Recommended

Problem solved:

It turns out that the computer slowness / lag / stutter was a result of an improper (default) setting for the integrated Intel Graphics driver.

To fix:

Right click on Desktop --> Intel Graphics Settings

Then choose the "Power" option.  Here, there is a setting called "Panel Self-Refresh" that can be toggled between Enable and Disable.  By default, it is set to Enable.  However, upon switching to Disable, the problem goes away.  Disable Panel Self-Refresh on both Plugged In and On Battery modes.

HP Recommended
Thank You @SamBam

Your solution of disabling the Panel Self-Refresh on both Plugged and Battery worked for me.
HP Recommended

Thanks @SamBam. Fixed here too. Was severely vexed trying to figure out via TaskManager, auto-updates, virus software and other interrupt-heavy gizmos.

In current Win10, there is no access to the Intel setting via Settings (the gearbox), but found an app in the Start Menu called Intel Graphics Control Panel. There is a power setting there, just as you describe. Fixed it right up.

Intel, HP, are you listening? This is a really awful feature you should just disable Panel Self Refresh.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.