Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Stream
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Within the past week or so, my wife mentioned that the @ sign wasn't working when she was emailing. A quick look at her notebook revealed that both Shift keys do nothing.

An Internet search on this problem shows that it has happened several times in the past year. Some people recommended updating the driver, BIOS, or reinstalling Windows 10. The drivers were already at the latest update, the firmware was, too, and I don't want to reset everything on the computer. I also tried the "Virtual Agent" from the HP Support Assistant Troubleshooting menu, but that was a complete waste of time.

A friend suggested rolling back Windows updates to see if there's one that caused this, but Windows is just going to put them back automatically, so why bother?

So, since this apparently happens to more than just us, does anybody have a solution that restores the Shift keys to normal functioning?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In short,

(a) It was a software problem caused by Microsoft.

(b) It was fixed by a later Microsoft update and the keys work fine now.

(c) I'm disappointed that HP was unaware of this.

Details:

The keys stopped working when Microsoft feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 installed itself.

They started working again two weeks later, when version 1809 installed itself.

This has always been a software (i.e., keyboard mapping) problem, not a driver or firware or hardware problem.

A Google search shows that many other people had the same problem and were trying all kinds of things to fix it. Then it "fixed itself" with a Microsoft update.

I am very surprised that HP Support was not aware of this and went down a bunch of rabbit holes trying to find a hardward solution. You could at least have posted a warning telling people to contact Microsoft about the problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TJHudson

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community.

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer.

I will be delighted to assist you here.

Re-start the computer, keep tapping F2, and run a component test with the keyboard.

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

I restarted and pressed F2. That opened the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI screen.The BIOS version is 1.12.0.0.

The only options on the screen are Memory Test, Storage Tests, Language, and Exit. I do not see anything about testing the Keyboard or any other components. Is the keyboard test included in one of these options?

Thanks again for helping me.

HP Recommended

@TJHudson

Thanks for the response.

In this case, follow this link and perform the steps in the given order.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In short,

(a) It was a software problem caused by Microsoft.

(b) It was fixed by a later Microsoft update and the keys work fine now.

(c) I'm disappointed that HP was unaware of this.

Details:

The keys stopped working when Microsoft feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 installed itself.

They started working again two weeks later, when version 1809 installed itself.

This has always been a software (i.e., keyboard mapping) problem, not a driver or firware or hardware problem.

A Google search shows that many other people had the same problem and were trying all kinds of things to fix it. Then it "fixed itself" with a Microsoft update.

I am very surprised that HP Support was not aware of this and went down a bunch of rabbit holes trying to find a hardward solution. You could at least have posted a warning telling people to contact Microsoft about the problem.

HP Recommended

@TJHudson

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.