Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY x360 13-ay0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Clock speed of my device is not increasing beyond 1.6 GHz even when my CPU utilization is above 70%. The base speed is 2.38 GHz and with the help of boost, it previously used to go to 3.6 GHz. As a result my computer programs are taking much longer time to run.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TChinnu -- check the "power" app on your computer.

The power settings usually slow-down the CPU when your computer is running on battery-power, but may not be speeding-up your computer when it is working on AC power.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TChinnu -- check the "power" app on your computer.

The power settings usually slow-down the CPU when your computer is running on battery-power, but may not be speeding-up your computer when it is working on AC power.

HP Recommended

Great! I am very glad that your solution is precisely addressing the problem. I have tried many other suggestions offered on other forums, but none of them worked.

I observed that when the adapter is plugged in, the clock speed is high; whereas when the system is running on battery, the clock speed is low. However, even in the battery mode, I see that the clock speed can be increased if I am toggling the battery setting bar from 'best battery life' to 'best performance' (I hope this is what you had intended in your post by suggesting me to check the 'power' app  - I request you to correct me if I am missing something more from your post).

Thank you very much for resolving the problem.

However, I am left with one question. It would be very helpful if you could answer it.

How was my device giving high speeds in the past even when running on battery with the power setting adjusted to 'best battery life'?

HP Recommended

@TChinnu -- How was my device giving high speeds in the past even when running on battery with the power setting adjusted to 'best battery life'?

I have no useful suggestion nor explanation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.