Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a few HP laptops and printers, and in Support Assistant there are 15-20 informational messages across the devices that keep on reappearing (e.g. "Back up your important data?"). I'll delete them all, then after a few days/weeks the yellow exclamation mark appears and they are back.

This happened again today, and I've just noticed that my previous deletions of the messages have disappeared from the Support Assistant Action log - some central HP database is losing track of actions and thinks it needs to send again?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Makeshifty 

I no longer have HP Support Assistant installed on my Workstation and the Probook version is the "Application" type of the HPSA.  The following is based on some older data I have for the "software" version and the latest data for the "application" type of the HPSA.

Software type - this is the "original" HPSA that runs on (at this time) most computers.

The menu in which you control the messages and the extent that HPSA can bug you / notify you is in Settings.

Switch off "everything" and HPSA remains functional but will not force updates and will not bug you with notifications.

Example

HPSA_Settings_V8.X_1AHPSA_Settings_V8.X_1A

Application type of HPSA > Settings

Settings lets you control the extent to which HPSA notifies you of activity.

Switch off everything and remove the HPSA icon from the Taskbar for the "quieter" experience.

Example

HPSA_App_Settings_1HPSA_App_Settings_1

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals / User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thanks for the detailed response. I've got HPSA set up the way I want (just letting me know when new updates or messages are available), the issue is that it seems to forget that I've already read/deleted these messages and presents me with the same set of old messages each time (as well as any genuinely new ones).

I presume it's losing track of what has already been downloaded/read - is this information is cached locally on each device?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Makeshifty 

I don't know.

The application (second example) appears to provide the same function as the original software version  (as far as I can tell).  The presentation (GUI) is different and the code is no longer separated into two parts (HP Support Assistant and the HP Support Solutions).  At this writing, I've not spent much time looking beyond the superficial bits.

If you have the "software" version (HPSA and companion software), you can remove (first) the HPSA, then the companion software (HPSS) > Restart > Install a fresh copy of the HPSA from its website.  HPSS is automatically loaded when you install the HPSA.

Uninstalling > Reloading MIGHT help correct the issue you are seeing.

Do uninstall both HPSA / HPSS and confirm you want your personal data removed during the uninstall process.

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Partial excerpt from the Website:

“Ready to go on your HP PC

HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.”

====================================================================

What about the "Application" type?

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

You could try uninstalling the application

If asked, confirm to remove personal data

Restart the computer (and log in) 

Open the Website and click to Download / Install the HPSA.

Warning:  Do not attempt to load / force the Application type onto a system on which the application does not belong.

What else?

Not sure.

I shut off any messaging I can find (in individual software) and in Windows Notifications).

I ignore HPSA when it doesn't cooperate - we (users) have no actual control over it, after all.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same problem, the same messages keep reappearing. It's also just been an issue for the last few days. It must be a bug that presumably will clear at some point.

HP Recommended

My install of HPSA is only a few weeks old on one laptop and the issue has been happening consistently. Guess I need to raise a support ticket with HP 😞

Just to completely clarify the issue I took some screenshots:

I deleted any active the messages after my last update a few days ago, these deletions show in the Actions log

Makeshifty_0-1606297493489.png

Kick off a manual check of messages:

Makeshifty_1-1606297659528.png

Couple of deletions have disappeared from the action log and the questions are appearing again as new messages.

Makeshifty_2-1606297703249.png

HP Recommended

@Makeshifty 

HP Support standard contract does not include support for software.

The screenshots might be useful in context - there are roving programs that grab information of this type for teams interested in one subject or another.

Personal Observation:

As to it being a "bug" - Yes, it might be a bug.  ?

I will shunt your information for review - do not expect a personal response.

what to do?

Ignore what you can - remove messages that are not useful.

If a message returns that you don't want, remove it again.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Understood, thanks again for all your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.