Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming
Linux

Just so you know, I followed the steps provided here:

HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) and especially

Update the BIOS manually from a USB Flash drive (outside of Windows)

because I am using Linux OS

I am trying to update my BIOS. I have wrote the updates to USB stick (made in windows). I turned on the laptop and pressed ESC to get the start up option (to get to bios and check hardware and stuff), there I pressed F2 to get to open the System Diagnoses, inserted the USB. However, unlike what the support site says, I was not able to choose Firmware Management or BIOS Management. It just wasn't there. I could  1. check the memory 2. check physical disk 3. change language 4. exit. Nothing more. 

I would really like to know what else I could do to update BIOS.

Took a photo of the System Diagnoses menu. The USB stick is found when I connect it to the computer, so it is not a faulty USB.

IMG_20200524_210936.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So for this to work for me, I had to start up Windows in VirtualMachine, download the HP PC Hardware Diagnosis UEFI in the VM, write the diagnostic tool to a USB (I used the same USB as the BIOS update was on). From there I restarted, got into the Hardware Diagnoses which then booted into the USB. From there I was able to update BIOS. Took bit more work, but it is finished now 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @olividir,

It looks like you have a slightly outdated version of your device's HP UEFI Hardware Diagnostics.

You didn't provide a specific product name/number so I wasn't able to find it for you, but if you navigate to your notebook PC's Software and Driver's page, there should be an option to install a newer version of the HP UEFI Hardware Diagnostics. Updating this should most likely provide other options and tests that you're currently unable to access.

However, I am not entirely familiar with Linux so I'm honestly a bit unsure of how you would install this update.

Perhaps you can find a workaround or someone else has suggestions. Or, it may be necessary to simply reinstall Windows.

Best of luck.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

So for this to work for me, I had to start up Windows in VirtualMachine, download the HP PC Hardware Diagnosis UEFI in the VM, write the diagnostic tool to a USB (I used the same USB as the BIOS update was on). From there I restarted, got into the Hardware Diagnoses which then booted into the USB. From there I was able to update BIOS. Took bit more work, but it is finished now 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.