Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Firefly 15.6 inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

After updating to the lastest BIOS version HP T76 Ver. 01.10.00, 15.7.2022 USB-C ports stopped working properly.

I have used USB-C HDMI Adapter ISY IAD-1026 for connecting 2 monitors and a Focusrite music interface. After automatic BIOS update the USB C ports stopped working. I guess HP Support Assistant did this even though BIOS updates are not selected to be automatically installed.

I have checked with 2 different USB-C adapters and with 2 mobile phones that only charging works via the USB-C ports. It seems that no data is going through the USB-C ports.

Details of the laptop:

• System Model: HP ZBook Firefly 15.6 inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC
  • BIOS Version/Date: HP T76 Ver. 01.10.00, 15.7.2022
  • OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
    • Version: 10.0.22000 Build 22000

I've tried to:

1. Unplug/replug monitors.

2. Unplug everything from the adapter and then replug.

3. Restart the laptop.

4. Unplug everything and restart.

5. Install some docking station drivers.

6. Uninstall USB controllers and restart.

7. Disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" from the USB Root Hub properties.
8. I've checked also with HP Support Assistant that there are no available driver updates.
9. I've checked that there are no available Windows updates.

10. Tried another USB-C port.

EDIT:
The BIOS update was made automatically, but when I download the BIOS from HP's website and run the installer, there's a check which informs that some firmware are not up-to-date:
Firmware Name                  Current Version    New Version
Inter(R) Thunderbolt Retimer   2.25.1.1           2.28.1.1
USB-C Controller Firmware      2.5.0.0            2.6.0.0
Camera Controller              22.9.0.0           22.21.0.0

Then I tried the steps below, but those firmware didn't get updated.
1. Run the installer with USB-C power adapter attached.

2. Unplug everything and run the instller.

3. Downgrade to 01.09.10 and then upgrade again to the newest.

The version 01.10.00 is actually automatically reinstalled immediately after downgrading 01.09.10 and reboot, so I'm not able to test if the USB-C HDMI adapter would work properly with the older version.

EDIT2:
1. I disabled auto updates from HP Support Assistant completely and downgraded to 01.09.10, but it didn't fix the issue.
2. I tried to downgrade to 01.08.20, but that failed.

Does somebody have some tips to check?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The solution was quite simple:

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Unplug everything.

3. Press Power button for 30 seconds.

4. Power up the laptop and plug stuff back in.

Now USB-C adapters are working and data transfer works with mobile phones.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The solution was quite simple:

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Unplug everything.

3. Press Power button for 30 seconds.

4. Power up the laptop and plug stuff back in.

Now USB-C adapters are working and data transfer works with mobile phones.

HP Recommended

I followed your steps and the issue is now resolved. I still see that my USB-C is not updated yet but doing the 30 second thing did resolve my issue.

HP Recommended

@Katakat my USB-C Controller and Thunderbolt firmware weren't updated either. Maybe there's some conflict between the BIOS and the firmware and they're going to be updated when next BIOS update is released.

As long as my external monitors work, it's fine. Otherwise my work efficiency drops a lot.

HP Recommended

I tried the same. Shut down the Laptop HP Spectre 360. Unplug all. Press the power button for 30 seconds.

I started the Laptop and plugged in the device not willing to work (USB C Hub from Anker).

And everthing was okay and it was working properly.

Thanks for this solution.

HP Recommended

The newest BIOS Version/Date HP T76 Ver. 01.11.00, 13.10.2022 updated Thunderbolt and USB-C controller.

Firmware Name                  Current Version    New Version
System BIOS                    01.10.00           01.11.00
Intel (R) CS and ME*           15.41.21.58        15.42.22.35
Inter(R) Thunderbolt Retimer   2.25.1.1           2.28.1.1
USB-C Controller Firmware      2.5.0.0            2.7.0.0
Camera Controller              22.9.0.0           22.21.0.0
No need to update:
Sensor Calibration Data        21.12.0.0          21.12.0.0
ClickPad Controller            22.10.0.0          22.10.0.0

* Converged Security and Management Engine

After the original post, Intel Graphic/Display driver and/or Windows update messed up my USB-C HDMI Adapter ISY IAD-1026 for connecting 2 monitors. The connected screens are shown in Display Settings, but no picture is sent to the screens. The original fix process didn't work. I didn't get the adapter working by rolling back Intel driver either, so I ended up buying a new 1 port USB-C HDMI adapter. It's a bit annying as now I need to swap cables if I want to use my 43 inch screen.

HP Recommended

Had the same problem when my HP updated to version 01.11.00 without permission. USB-C DP functionality stopped working. Following your procedure solved the issue. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Right, I just need the screens to work, they’re so addictively convenient tool for those who travel a lot. Honestly it was a push by desktop team and I am least bothered to check if it is pending update or not. 

HP Recommended

I have have the same problem using an HP EliteBook 840 G7 with an HP G5 dock. Nearly every time I reconnect my hub's USB-C port to the laptop, my two external monitors are not detected and I waste a bunch of time getting it to work. I'm glad I found this thread though, since holding the power button down for 30 seconds seems to fix it. But I shouldn't have to do that each time I reconnect to the dock. I'm running the latest bios/firmware on both the laptop and hub. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. Your solution worked for me to make one of my 3 USB ports work again after the "HP BIOS and System Firmware (T70/T85/T87/T88/T89/T99)" update to 01.11.01 of Dec 14, 2022 made that port stop working in my Probook 450 G8 (product id 00330-53972-72828-AAOEM). I had also installed this supposed hotfix:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-probook-450-g8-notebook-pc/37973141/mo...

but didn't make a difference. Your solution did. It is very unsettling that this thing of pressing the power button for 30" is not mentioned anywhere that I could find, not even in that hotfix page, apparently only in this post. I see that it works on several different laptop models so it sounds like a quite universal thing, it should be mentioned in a crystal clear way. When I used this solution I could hear the fan making loud sound and the keyboard lights going on and off, which are things very similar to when I do any BIOS update, this solution definitely acts on the BIOS.

Thanks a lot for your post.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.