Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I’ve got an Hp Envy laptop. Bought with 1TB memory but I  only seem to have about 100 GB available and that’s used up so can’t save any new files down. I believe the other 900 GB is somewhere in the hard drive but no idea how to access it, had a couple of techy friends look too but they’ve also drawn a blank. Anyone know how to access the main hard drive? Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Assuming you are referring to the size of the hard drive as 1TB, which is common now.

Open Disk Management to see the hard drive.  Here is a guide with illustrations for what to look for after opening Disk Management

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-manage-your-disks-using-disk-management-utility/

The first actual picture shows what you should see on a typical system.  Assuming you do not have a virtual machine running, ignore that portion.  A typical HP computer having only a 1TB hard drive will show the C: drive with several partitions and that may also be showing a D drive where the Recovery Partition will be.  Windows 10 uses several partitions marked hidden for system use, those will also show up in the Drive window.  The Disk 0 is usually the C: drive where Windows sets up all of the partitions it needs.  Disk 1 is typically the extra disk if there are more then one drive or a DVD drive.

It might be more helpful for later advise to post a screenshot of the Disk Management as viewed by you from your PC.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.