Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen ax206 na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, I just upgraded the SSD and ram in my omen, and decided I would perform a clean install rather than copy 4 years worth of junk onto my new SSD. The computer is working perfectly, and I downloaded all the HP drivers (apart from the intel and Nvidia ones for which I used the respective updaters from those companies). 

The issue is there is no link for HP 3D drive guard on the downloads page for my laptop, and the only links I can find online (there's a HP doc, and also another thread on this forum) link you to a download link that's no longer available.

Where can I find the HP 3D drive guard download? I remember the PC definitely had it because a few times I picked up the computer before it had quite finished going to sleep, and the HDD read light when red.

I'm running the latest UEFFI firmware, so my only guess is that it's now included in that and I just missed this happening.

Thanks in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, that is the way it is supposed to work.

But if you want to try the older version, you can as long as you uninstall the new driver first.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

You don't need the 3D Driveguard with a SSD because a SSD has no moving drive heads to park, but if you want to install the unknown 3D Driveguard device so it disappears from the device manager, you can use this file...

This package provides HP 3D DriveGuard for supported computer models that are running a supported operating system. The HP 3D DriveGuard protects the hard drive by parking the heads to reduce the risk of damage if the PC is accidentally dropped or is abruptly impacted by another object.

sp107654.exe (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. I ran the program, but its not showing an icon in the tray or showing up in the program list, even after a restart.

I should have been clearer, the laptop has both an m.2 SSD (which I upgraded to a larger NVMe one) and a 2.5" hard drive.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The 3D Driveguard where an icon was placed in the system tray, was updated to remove all of the software since it was deemed to be no longer compatible with the newer builds of W10.

Here is the link to the last known working version of the full featured software.

sp84595.exe (hp.com)

I suggest you go to the device manager, expand the system devices category, find the HP mobile protection sensor device, select uninstall.  Check the uninstall driver box, and restart the PC before installing the older version of the software.

If it doesn't work, reinstall the first driver I posted, and it is what it is.

HP Recommended

Ok so I checked device manager, and it says it's working properly and has a driver (dated 05/08/2020). Does this mean that it is active and able to protect the HDD, despite not having any icons/frontend program.

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the way it is supposed to work.

But if you want to try the older version, you can as long as you uninstall the new driver first.

HP Recommended

Ok that's perfect, as long as the hard drive is protected I'm happy, the tray icon is unimportant I just thought it was supposed to have it. 

Thank you very much for your help.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.