Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15-bq108ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After creating a USB key with a downloaded HP BIOS exe, boot with power + Win + V key combination I get:

Unable to open BIOS signature file.

There is a Firmware Management, Update and Rollback option in HP diagnostics utility, same result:

Unable to open BIOS signature file

...no matter which option you choose BIOS flash cannot continue for exactly the same reason, above.

I created several usb keys with different versions, same outcome.

Why is the utility unable to open a present! and freshly created USB with a supplied by HP signature file?

What's wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have an HP Notebook - 15-ay027nv (ENERGY STAR) and I made the stupid mistake of updating to the latest F.46 bios. I was on F.43 for quite a while and I discovered after updating that they removed the ability to access the advanced bios settings somewhere along the road (either in F.44, F45, or F,46) with the F10+A combo on startup. I desperatelly needed the ability to access these settings because I must disable that f***king Intel DPTF which is throttling my GPU at ridiculously low temperatrues like 65 C, effectivelly killing the ability to play any kind of game on my laptop. 

Guess what...I can't rollback to ANY previous BIOS version to get my advanced settings back because HP locked the ability to rollback ("Unable to open BIOS signature file" every time you try to use and older bios image using any flashing method). It's simply infuriating! 

I tried pretty much everything to roll back at this point and I am about to give up. And obviously I hold zero hope that HP will ever release a new bios which unlocks the advanced options again. Or they changed the hotkeys and will never tell us cause they don't want users to fiddle with it even though it can create tiny problems like...oh you know...RENDERING YOU dGPU COMPLETELY USELESS!

In any case, removing the ability to roll back is insane! HP, FIX IT! YESTERDAY!

HP Recommended

F47 bios is the same problem.

Please fix this HP! Unlock advanced options for tuning gpu during BIOS settings.

Me too Unable to open BIOS signature file trying roll back to 46 or older.

One more way is manual programming BIOS on USB chip programmer to older version in laptop service point.

HP Recommended

Yep, sad and infuriating BS. BIOS Menu in Diags Tools has a rollback option, haha.

Doesn't work for the reason you already know about.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833       doesn't work for rollback

same BS here 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpiGUojtr3E&t=6s      posted by HP Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.