Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8570w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I see a lot of postings on troubles with the uninstall for HP Protecttools to include drive encryption. I need to uninstall this so I can change the hard drives.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

There are certain things you SHOULD do before uninstalling HP Protect tools.

HP Protect tools is the old(er) version of a new software with name HP Client Security.

HP Protect tools often comes in combination with HP Drive Encryption software.

If your disk is currently encrypted by this software, you should first open HP Protect tools -> find the Drive Security and follow the on-screen instructions to DECRYPT the HDD. Note that this is generally slow process and may take several hours or more depending your the amount of your HDD and your PC specifications.

You may also check if you have preboot authentication enabled. Open the HP Protect tools home page -> click on the wheel Settings button -> Security Features and check there is no tick next to Power-On Authentication

Finally, please restart your computer (restart, not shutdown + start again)

Eventually, attempt to uninstall HP Protect tools using the standard method from Control Panel >> Programs and features

If you cannot uninstall them and get an error message, the program may have to be repaired.  Please, let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

There are certain things you SHOULD do before uninstalling HP Protect tools.

HP Protect tools is the old(er) version of a new software with name HP Client Security.

HP Protect tools often comes in combination with HP Drive Encryption software.

If your disk is currently encrypted by this software, you should first open HP Protect tools -> find the Drive Security and follow the on-screen instructions to DECRYPT the HDD. Note that this is generally slow process and may take several hours or more depending your the amount of your HDD and your PC specifications.

You may also check if you have preboot authentication enabled. Open the HP Protect tools home page -> click on the wheel Settings button -> Security Features and check there is no tick next to Power-On Authentication

Finally, please restart your computer (restart, not shutdown + start again)

Eventually, attempt to uninstall HP Protect tools using the standard method from Control Panel >> Programs and features

If you cannot uninstall them and get an error message, the program may have to be repaired.  Please, let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I was able to turn off the encryption which I believe will allow me to image and replace the hard drive. I am hoping to have the drive today and will post again to let you know the results. Thanks for your response to my question!!

Mo

HP Recommended

You are welcome!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.