Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6700
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My Pavilion dv6700 is very old. Running Windows 10 (32-bit). How should I update drivers? I tried through HP.com, but they only offer updates for this product through Vista.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On a laptop that came out in 2008 (  The HP Pavilion DV6700 Series, released in 2008 ) and had Vista, and it is working with Windows 10, then it is probably not going to get any better.  Most likely the drivers that are installed are the best that Windows 10 can do.  But you can try each one separately in Device Manager, using that driver update feature.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

As long as the present system is running good, then leave it alone.  If there are problems that are being caused by out-of-date drivers, then use the driver update function that is built into Device Manager.  But if it is working, leave it alone.  Messing with an old system that works is asking for trouble.  Hardware manufacturers are not going to be writing new drivers for old hardware.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

It's "working", but I recently did a complete Windows 10 reset to get everything working a little better (previous to reset it was barely tolerable to work with in all aspects). I assumed updating to the latest drivers, whenever they came out, was the best I could do to get the machine working to the best of its ability. 

HP Recommended

On a laptop that came out in 2008 (  The HP Pavilion DV6700 Series, released in 2008 ) and had Vista, and it is working with Windows 10, then it is probably not going to get any better.  Most likely the drivers that are installed are the best that Windows 10 can do.  But you can try each one separately in Device Manager, using that driver update feature.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi, @tony_hankins

You can actually use the Vista drivers to work on W10.

Some may have to be manually installed.

Let me know what drivers you need.

You need the graphics driver if in the device manager, under the Display Adapters device manager category, you see a device listed as a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

What are the names of any devices listed in the device manager that need drivers?

Those would be listed under an Other Devices category.

Last question...what is the product number of your dv6700?

The product number can be found on the same sticker as the serial number.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.