Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 17-Ca0XXX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP 17-ca0xxx laptop and I have a question I opened my laptop and I wanted to do a ram upgrade the specs say I can upgrade to 16 GB of DDR4 ram one dim slot has an 8 GB stick The other dim slot is blank, I removed the stick of ram to find out what make it was when I removed it under that stick it was labeled on the board ONE DIM ONLY, I put the stick into the other side and restarted the computer, it wouldn't reboot, I  reinstall the ram back into the original dim lot and the computer rebooted, I am confused aren't the dim slots rated for 8 GB? if the computer takes 16 GB of ram why wouldn't the computer start when I put the ram into the other dim slot and reboot when I put the ram back? Maybe the computer only takes 12 GB? or ram has to be installed in that dim slot? am I missing something here I need some, please? The product number is 6LM31UA#ABA    HP 17-ca0xxx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-17-ca0045nr

It supports 2 x 8 GB of memory.

What you saw on the motherboard is a notice that if there is only one memory chip, it has to go in the slot labeled One Dimm Only.

Most desktop PC's are configured the same way. 

If the PC only has one memory chip, it has to go in a certain slot (which is usually color coded).

If you put it anywhere else, the PC won't boot up, or it will produce a memory error report.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-17-ca0045nr

It supports 2 x 8 GB of memory.

What you saw on the motherboard is a notice that if there is only one memory chip, it has to go in the slot labeled One Dimm Only.

Most desktop PC's are configured the same way. 

If the PC only has one memory chip, it has to go in a certain slot (which is usually color coded).

If you put it anywhere else, the PC won't boot up, or it will produce a memory error report.

HP Recommended

I saw the crucial scan I did that myself, okay I had no idea they were color-coordinated I'll have a look again thank you. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The color of the dimm slot refers only to desktop PC's.

Your notebook has a notice...'one chip goes here.'

Desktops do not have any markings or notices.

On the desktop PC's I have (4 slots), all the slots are white, except the one where only one chip goes, is black.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.