Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion DV7 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have downloaded windows 10 to my Pavilion Dv7  Notebook  product Number LW174UA#ABA twice from MediaCreationTool1809.exe - 18.3 MB  from edited*

After the first  Windows 10 download, I entered my product key for Windows 10 Pro.   Everything went perfectly.   After the computer went to sleep,  I came back, woke up the laptop and windows 10 had crashed.  I was not able to reopen windows 10.  I restored the computer back to  windows 7 home premium.   I tried the download again to Windows 10.  This time I did not upgrade to Windows 10 pro.   I let the computer go to sleep and when I reopened the computer, Windows 10 crashed again.  I have not attempted to download from the Windows 10 pro DVD.   I was following the instructions and downloading from the Mediacreation tool.   Has anyone else had issues downloading Windows 10 to their Pavilion Dv7?  Are there any suggestions on what I can do different?  Or is it possible that my Dv7 is not compatible with windows 10.   I am baffled because the initial downloads work perfectly until I let the computer go to sleep.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MSK2019 

Since your link has been edited, I can't see WHERE you are getting Win10, but since MS offers it for free using their Media Creation Tool, I would strongly recommend you try that and see what happens.

Do not use the option to upgrade online, instead, use the option to download the ISO file and create physical media -- and probably in your case, that would require an 8GB USB stick.

You can get it from  here:  Windows 10 download

That will download the Win10 v1903 edition.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The download I used for Windows 10 was from the Media Creation tool.  I downloaded this twice.   After the initial download, I used a new key that i purchased to upgrade to Windows 10 PRO.  Windows crashed.  I restored the computer to Windows 7 and using the media creation tool,  installed windows 10 again.  This time, I did not upgrade to Windows Pro.  After the computer went to sleep, it once again crashed.  So I did use the Media Creation tool for the initial download both times.  Any other suggestions.

HP Recommended

@MSK2019 

OK ... but the link mentions innovationtechnology -- which is not the MS MCT link -- so I presumed you got it from some third-party.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.