Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a HP Notebook # 15- BS590TX, 15.6” screen, with Windows 10 Home OS. The HP PC Setup Instructions say: “Your computer is protected by a free subscription to McAfee LiveSafe service for a limited time from the first time you use the computer….”  But actually this computer does not have any McAfee protection installed. It does have Windows Firewall and Windows Defender Antivirus installed. Will these Windows Services give strong protection against viruses, malware, etc. as I use the Internet every day?  Or should I also install a virus protection app such as McAfee? If I install virus protection app such as McAfee, should I deactivate or remove the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender Antivirus?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

No, Windows defaults won't give strong protection against viruses Although Windows Defender is getting better especially in Windows 10 but it still has rather high false detections of viruses.

If you occasionally download and open files from the internet or email, stick to windows defender and windows firewall and save your money. However,  If you visit unfamiliar websites everyday, you'd better install a popular internet security version. These protection softwares have their firewall feature which are more powerful than the Windows Firewall.

One thing worth mentioning is that if internet security softwares have way more than enough features that you don't really need or you won't ever use them, spend your money on buying Antivirus Softwares instead and save some bucks.

You don't need to worry about Windows Defender since it automatically detects the antivirus software you've installed as soon as the installation is finished.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.