Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
elitebook 8540w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hello, I'm using HP ELITEBOOK 8540W. I want to use SIM card for internet access. I already insert a SIM card in under battery sim slot, but i can't find any option to use the sim card. Please help me.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, that is correct.

You have to install the hardware before you install the driver.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi:

Does your notebook have the required WWAN card?

Without a WWAN card, the SIM card doesn't do anything.

A WWAN card was a very expensive option on that model, and probably 90% of them do not have one.

HP Recommended

I dont know it, how can i find the wwan card?

HP Recommended

The WWAN card would be listed along with the ethernet and wireless adapters in the device manager, under the network adapters device manager category.

If you only see the model ethernet and wireless network adapters, then your notebook doesn't have the required WWAN adapter.

HP Recommended

PLEASE see the image and help my to understand.wwan.png

HP Recommended

Under the network adapters device manager category, you see the Intel 82577LM Ethernet controller and an Intel Centrino 6300 AGN Wifi Adapter, correct?

Well, if your PC had a WWAN card, you would be seeing a HP un2420 EV-DO/HSPA Mobile Broadband Module.

Since I do not see that device in your screenshot, your notebook does not have the required hardware for a SIM card to work.

HP Recommended
How can i get a wwan card for my pc? And inform me cost.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I would not be able to help you with that.

You can find the supported WWAN cards with their HP part numbers in chapter 3, page 26 of your notebook's service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03382696

I doubt HP sells these anymore so you can check places like eBay that may have used but tested and working cards.

You can only install one of the WWAN cards listed in the service manual, and it must have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

Do your search by the HP part number, not by the model of the WWAN card.

HP Recommended

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.pngjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.pngthanks dear for your support. i already ordered a WWAN module named gobi2000  hp un2420  sps 531993-001 (un2420 & sps : 531993-001, i found it service/user manual     as you said). then what should i do after purchase this?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

After you get the card, you follow the installation instructions found in chapter 4 starting on page 62 of the service manual.

Then you install the applicable W7 driver for the un2420 wwan card, and with your sim card installed, you should be all set to go.

This driver installer package contains the Qualcomm Gobi 2000 Drivers for the HP un2420 Mobile Broadband Module in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp53001-53500/sp53068.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.