Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy TouchSmart 15 Notebook (15t-j000 ABA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to upgrade my HP Envy TouchSmart 15 Notebook (15t-j000 ABA) from 8GB of RAM (2 x 4GB) to 16GB (2 x 8GB).  The HP Support documentation says it's important to update the BIOS to the latest version, but their support page doesn't list any software or drivers for my Notebook PC (identified via the serial #) - it doesn't even list a BIOS.

This Notebook PC came with Windows 8, but I was forced by Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10.  I'm not sure if this is why the HP Support page lists no software for my PC - unfortunately, I can't choose Windows 10 from their support page for my PC - presumably, because they didn't ship it with Windows 10.

Another HP Support document says I can update the BIOS through the Windows Device Manager (Firmware => System Firmware => Update Driver).  However, "Firmware" is not an option in my Device Manager.

Any thoughts on how I can locate and install the latest BIOS before I replace the current RAM in my PC with the new RAM I have already purchased?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I went back and selected Windows 8.1 as the Operating System (OS) - the last OS on my Notebook PC, before I was forced by Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10 (64-bit) - and the software and drivers (including the BIOS) showed up.

The last Windows 8.1 BIOS version on the HP Support page is F.69 Rev.A.  Then, I checked my current BIOS version (CMD Prompt => wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion) and it shows the current version is F.67.

Is it ok for me to use the latest BIOS version on the HP Support page for Windows 8.1 (F.69 Rev.A.) , even though my Notebook PC is currently running Windows 10?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.