Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 430 GS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have seen some really stupid responses to this question - please can someone (ideally at HP) take the question seriously. There is NO Ins key on my keyboard. I like to use Shift Ins and Ctrl Ins to cut and paste - call me old-fashioned but I hate the inbuilt mouse. Before responding, please pick up a Probook 430 GS and look at it before advising...

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@pauljharris 

OK, so I'll try not to give you a STUPID response! 

HP now sells laptops with reduced keysets -- and as you have noticed, these smaller keyboards are missing some keys, the Ins key being the most common.  This clearly presents issues when you need to use the Insert function.

Some keysets also have keys that have THREE functions, and this presents issues when you want to use the F2 key without also having to press the Fn key.

What MIGHT work is a freeware utility known as FastKeys -- which allows you to remap functions to other keys on the keyboard.  So, using this, you might be able to (for example) map shift-f3 to Insert.  Here is the link:  FastKeys Automation Software

Good Luck -- hope that helps

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks WAWood - sorry, should have used "frustrating " rather than "stupid". Appreciate you taking the time. I also appreciate you don't work for HP. If someone responds who does work for HP that would be great - I don't understand why (or even how) HP has taken the decision to remove the dual function key. It saves no real estate on the keyboard. I was expecting an answer along the lines of "the functionality is still there, we just don't print it on the key". So basically (and again thanks WAWood for offering an alternative solution) there is no Ins key? Really???

HP Recommended

@pauljharris 

Hey - I understand the frustration about removing something so frequently used as the Ins key.  It's about like removing the Shift key.  I can't explain it -- as I'm not privy to the reasoning, or lack thereof, behind such a decision.

HP Recommended

hi WAWood - I am not being clear or comprehensive enough with info - my Microsoft, full size keyboard has Prt SCr and Ins on the same keys, so is not about lack of space. My old Probook also has Ins and Prt Scr on the same key. It is a waste of space (literally!) to remove the Ins functionality from the same size key - so the key has not been removed, it is just that the dual functionality of a key (that is the same size as the previous key) has been removed - not the key itself. Again, this is aimed to HP folks...

HP Recommended

@pauljharris 

I'm not criticizing you -- I'm just saying I don't see the point of making such a decision since, as you point out, it is not a real estate issue.

Hope you can get FastKeys to do this for you.

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.